Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen Black Forest Fruit ideas

Hi folks,

I now have a decent collection of various wine no1 and 2's under my belt and am starting to feel a wee bit adventurous, so whilst foraging in the freezer I discovered 2 cartons of long forgotten frozen Tesco Black Forest Fruits these are 500g each and contain Cherry (33%), Grapes (29%), Blackberry (20%), Blackcurrant (18%). I also have loads of litre cartons of purple, white and red grape juice. My question is would this be enough for the basis of a gallon of wine and if so does anyone have any recipe ideas.
    I had a look in the recipes section and found a recipe for frozen Summer fruits (Boo's Blend) and wondered if a variation of this would work.
    Your help and advice would be much appreciated.
    Cheers
    Jabberwock

Hi again,

please disregard the above post I have just found the answer to my question in a post made here http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=1369
    that will teach me to use the search button before posting in future
    Cheers
    Jabberwock

Comment

Excellent

let us know how it turns out

i love the idea of foraging in the freezer

regards
      Bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        Excellent

let us know how it turns out

i love the idea of foraging in the freezer

regards
        Bob
        Not much fun when you're the one who has to do it! I haven't seen the bottom of one of mine for years.
        Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

I have a 5 gallon batch on with this at the moment I'll post the recipe when I get home from work.

What I will say is it needs to age at least 6 months, but when it does

Comment

Hi
            thanks for your replies, and Kerosine that would be brilliant if you could share your recipe, I reckon I have enough enough wine no 1 & 2's bottled to keep me going for at least a year so unless I'm desperately thirsty it should get left alone till Christmas 2009.
            Lockwood, as Mamgiowl very eloquently put it, it is my most hated job in the whole world I currently have 3 freezers and foraging might have been too mild a word, in fact it's more like going on an Arctic expedition and frostbite is a definite possibility!! Oh well 1 freezer down..........2 more to go, the only upside is discovering long forgotten fruity fermentables
            Cheers
            Jabberwock

Comment

stupid me - i'd already posted it here

early tastes of this indicate its a good un

but I want to age this baby

Comment

Ooooh, your recipe sounds amazing
                I don't have any concentrate but I do have some cartons of Blueberry so I'll have a wee think about it tonight but first instincts tell me to try a Purple grape juice/Blueberry Juice and Black forest fruit blend. As I say I'll have a think about the supplies I've got, then if you folks don't mind I'll run my proposed recipe by you all (yes, I know I'm a coward!!) before I go ahead.
                Thanks again for all your help
                Cheers
                Jabberwock

Comment

Try to use the full fat version of the purple grape juice, the light version is much much inferior
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Bob's right, However you could always up the frozen fruit content

Comment

Hi Lockwood ,
                      no worries there, it's the full fat stuff I've got,(don't do anything diet in our house )Tesco have it discounted at the moment so I've been buying it up every time I nip in.
                      Kerosine, funny you should mention upping the fruit content, I have a nagging feeling that in freezer no 2 or 3 I actually may have more frozen fruit, so I've decided that I'm going to clear out both freezers tomorrow and take stock of what I have........................It's amazing, normally I'd dread the thought of that but the quest for fruity fermentables is on and I'm up for the challenge!!

Comment

So .... You may be gone for some time.

Good luck
                        Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Got it in one Mamgiowl LOL

Comment

Well I thought I should give you a wee update on my wine.....................I chickened out of foraging in the other 2 freezers and decided to have a go with what I had to hand
                            My basic ingredients were:

1 kilo Black forest fruits
                            Pectolase
                            Tannin
                            1 teaspoon tartaric acid
                            yeast
                            yeast nutrient (tronozymol)
                            1 litre Blueberry juice
                            2 litres Purple (Full fat) grape juice
                            Sugar to 1090

I was amazed how quick this fermented out and I now have a gallon of already gorgeous tasting red wine which even at this stage has depth of flavour and quite a bit of body.........my biggest problem now will be aging the stuff till Christmas................get thee behind me satan
                            Thank you to everyone for all your help, I've had great fun making this and I'm sure I'm gonna have even more fun drinking it
                            Cheers
                            Jabberwock

Comment

How did the Forest Fruit wine turn out,Jabberwock? I've just started 1 gal. with 2L White Grape Juice,1L Red Grape Juice, and a packet of Summer Fruits I found in my freezer.(We don't share the same freezer,do we?) I'll be interested to see how it compares.

Comment

Working...
                              X