Big red

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Her Lushness View Post
    Yes, the quantities I used are for a gallon, so no, 2lbs blackberries wouldn't be enough, but as Spritzer said, you could get some tinned blackcurrants, and maybe some dried elderberries and use a combination of all 3?

So how about 2lbs blackberries, 1 tin blackcurrants, 1/2lb dried elderberries as a plan?

Have started this recipie many thanks my first wine from real fruit!. Looks and smells wonderfull also first time I have used Lalvin yeast WOW what a difference to GP yeast amazing stuff !:

Should I add some sultanas or raisins was thinking about 4 ounces?

Comment

A few raisins will help for sure, they will just add that little bit of body needed.
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
        A few raisins will help for sure, they will just add that little bit of body needed.
        Raisins added cant believe how quick this has taken off it is fermenting in a clear container at the moment its like a Lava lamp .....and looks like a purple fruit sponge cake floating on a damson coloured sea.

Hope it's good

Comment

Originally posted by plonky View Post
          Raisins added cant believe how quick this has taken off it is fermenting in a clear container at the moment its like a Lava lamp .....and looks like a purple fruit sponge cake floating on a damson coloured sea.

Hope it's good
          Cool, you ever thought of taking up poetry
          Discount Home Brew Supplies
          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
            Sorry! forgot to suggest the addition of a tin of Red Grape Concentrate!
            HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Sorry! forgot to suggest the addition of a tin of Red Grape Concentrate!
              I used three litres of pressed red grape juice instead of water would i still need to add the red grape concentrate for the best BFEe ( Blackberry Fruitcake Explosion experience)

original SG 1080 (did not have to add much sugar)
              Last edited by plonky; 13-03-2009, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Nah, that should be fine. Do let us know how it all turns out won't you?
                HRH Her Lushness

Comment

Gravity down to 1.10 Didn't expect it to get so low so fast !Must be the Lalvin yeast.
                  Have sieved out bulk and transferred to DJ under airlock .

Comment

original SG 1080
                    Gravity down to 1.10
                    Something not quite right here, either the gravity has gone up (very unlikely) or you have miss read the hydrometer. With the second reading, did you mean 1.010?
                    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard S View Post
                      Something not quite right here, either the gravity has gone up (very unlikely) or you have miss read the hydrometer. With the second reading, did you mean 1.010?
                      Yes sorry sticky keyboard!

Comment

About a quarter of Dj is lees/pulp/must still fermenting vigouously should i leave this to settle out further ie will it compact further or rack again?

Or do I leave it to fully finish fermenting now then rack.

Thanks.

Comment

cant believe how quick this has taken off it is fermenting in a clear container at the moment its like a Lava lamp
                          About a quarter of Dj is lees/pulp/must still fermenting vigouously should i leave this to settle out further ie will it compact further or rack again?

Or do I leave it to fully finish fermenting now then rack.

Thanks.
                          I'm a little confused here..
                          Why did you transfer from primary to secondary instead of racking/straining ?
                          I wish I was a glow worm
                          Cos a glow worm's never glum
                          It's hard to be unhappy
                          When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

Originally posted by Zebedee View Post
                            I'm a little confused here..
                            Why did you transfer from primary to secondary instead of racking/straining ?
                            I Racked/strained transferred to secondary becuause the SG had dropped
                            strained liquid through a sieve a lot of sediment has made it through to the DJ.

However this does seem to be compacting down now around one and a half inches.
                            Question do I rack off this sediment again and wait to finish ? or simply leave well alone and allow to finish ?.

Many thanks.
                            Last edited by plonky; 17-03-2009, 12:41 AM. Reason: spellling

Comment

Personally, I'd rack again to get rid of the crap (technical term ) in the bottom of the DJ, and then leave it well alone to do it's thang...

Incidentally I tasted some of my elderberry & blackberry wine today as I was racking it, and it tastes DIVINE already, I can't wait until it's done now!

I reckon I'm going to need to take quite a few days off work to go blackberry & elderberry picking come Autumn!
                              HRH Her Lushness

Comment

Personally, I'd rack again to get rid of the crap (technical term ) in the bottom of the DJ, and then leave it well alone to do it's thang...

Incidentally I tasted some of my elderberry & blackberry wine today as I was racking it, and it tastes DIVINE already, I can't wait until it's done now!

I reckon I'm going to need to take quite a few days off work to go blackberry & elderberry picking come Autumn!
                                Thanks

Have racked off the crap topped up with some red grape juice and leving to ferment out.

Comment

Working...
                                X