Wine Number 3 / Kiwi fruit Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine Number 3 / Kiwi fruit Recipe

Sorry for starting a new topic but the Wine Number 3 topic is locked and I cant see another thread that relates to it and didnt want to PM Bob on a silly question that maybe others can answer.

At present Asda have a special offer where a bag of Kiwi fruit is a pound for about 5 Kiwis in each bag (not sure what each bag weighs) but in the Kiwi recipe there is no suger requied .........is this because there is already plenty of suger in the fruit? (sorry still a newbie when it comes to this)

http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=1631

There is also a link to how much suger / acid can be found in each fruit but I couldn't make sense of the table.......thanks for any help you can give.

http://www.winesathome.co.uk/downloads/sugarandacid.pdf

you'll need your hydrometer..

Quote from thread...

so.. once your fruit is ready to go into the straining bag, either pulped by you or still in its frozen state, add 4.5 litres of white grape juice or water and sugar to SG 1.070 as there is sugar in the kiwis that hasnt been released yet, add to this the bentonite (dissolve it in hot water first) tannin, pectolase, and yeast nutrient, add 5ml of sulphite solution (or 1 crushed campden tablet) to this and leave to stand for 24 hours.

As a side note..

In the fruit and veg dept of all Asda's I've visited, there are scales hanging up.
    I just check weigh any punnets etc without weight written on.
    I wish I was a glow worm
    Cos a glow worm's never glum
    It's hard to be unhappy
    When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

Originally posted by Zebedee View Post

Quote from thread...
      -----%<----- add to this the bentonite (dissolve it in hot water first) -----%<-----
      And as confirmation of a quote of a quote of a quote,

The above bit means dissolve the bentonite in hot water first.......It's handy to let it cool down.

Likewise, if you find yourself using sugar syrup, rather than white grape juice, make the sugar syrup up by dissolving the sugar in water on the cooker, but let it cool down a fair bit before use.

Some fruit wine recipes can take heat, some fruit, apples for example, are "heat sensitive" and can give a "cooked" taste.

It happens that Kiwi's are like that as well.....(and rhubarb, though I understand rhubarbs better not cooked/heated for slightly different reasons, but the "don't heat" caveat still follows)

So my tip is to make sure that the ingredients, as you add them are no warmer than hand hot, but better still would be room temperature...

regards

JtFB
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Thanks for the replys, Getting there, had most things in stock but had to get some Bentonite and am being told that Yeast Nutrient is the same as Vitamin B1 (but not 100% sure).

The Kiwi fruit worked out to be about 1.5lbs in weight per bag @ £1.00 per bag from Asda, so have 4.5lbs in weight of Kiwi fruit and just have to get 5 catrons of grape juice from Sainsbury.

Plan to peel and chop the Kiwi fruit, place them into freezer bags and leave them in the freezer for about a week..........This is my first major brew (apart from the wine kits) using fresh fruit so just want to get it right

Comment

No!

Vitamin B1 is a yeast energiser

Good yeast nutrient contains vitamin B1 (check the label, if it isnt listed, then you may need to add it)
          but vitamin B1 doesnt contain nutrient.
          dont worry too much about nutrient/energiser if adding grape juice, as the juice will contain (likely) enough nutrients for the yeasties (I assume the person who was selling you the vit B1 as nutrient will also tell you that any yeast will do.......it wont if you want good wine you must (pun intended) use good yeast

I wish home brew store owners would get their ducks in a row!

If buying nutrient, go for a good quality one like minavit or tronozymol, more expensive, but great performers.

do you have a straining bag?

if not, use some sanitised ladies tights, it makes it weasier do dunk the fruit in and out, for the first few days, to extract the flavour/colour.

hope this helps
          regards
          Bob
          Last edited by lockwood1956; 17-04-2009, 09:43 AM.
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
            I wish home brew store owners would get their ducks in a row!
            Spot on Bob...........it was the owner of our local wine making centre that was giving the advice, but like I said I was not 100% sure if that was correct.

Kiwi fruit has gone in the freezer now, so I have a few days to get the correct bits for the next stage.

Just one thing that I want to clarify is the amount of white grape juice requied, in the recipe its says 4.5 lts + the juice from the fruit, wont that be too much for a DJ? or will some of the bulk be lost in the primary stage?

Also is 5 days in the freezer enough for the Kiwi fruit?
            Attached Files

Comment

Look again at the tutorial....

first stage is in a bucket with straining bag, you dont want pulpy fruit in a DJ, once the initial stages of ferment are over then you remove the fruit pulp, and rack to a DJ. and because we are a bit over a gallon to start, tyou should be left with a gallon in the DJ

regards
              Bob
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Sorry Bob I should have made it clearer, what I ment was that after the primary stage (the first stage) will some of the bulk be lost in the ferment so that whats left will fit into a DJ for the second stage...and as you say it will fit into the DJ after the first stage of the ferment.....Thanks for clarifying that.

Comment

No probs
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I also seem to recall some "controversy" about Kiwi's - the great "too peel or not too peel" that (from memory) was the question.......

Like the peeling removes a lot of the tannin and colour producing material. So it is now the general consensus that they're peeled, rather than not ???

regards

JtFB
                    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I really want to try this, especially if kiwi are going that cheap in asda, could I get away without using Vitamin B1 tablets if I use a good yeast nutrient?
                      thanks

Comment

If you make sure that B1 is already in the nutrient the answer is yes.
                        Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by Tuco View Post
                          could I get away without using Vitamin B1 tablets if I use a good yeast nutrient?
                          thanks
                          Not sure what Yeast Nutrient your using but for me the answer is NO

Mine is Youngs Yeast Nutrient and the ingredients dont seem to include any vitamins - so for what it costs you may as buy some and put your mind at rest.

Does anyone know how long the Kiwi Fruit should be in the freezer for?

Comment

Originally posted by solly View Post
                            -----%<-----
                            Does anyone know how long the Kiwi Fruit should be in the freezer for?
                            Until they're frozen solid. That way the ice crystals that have formed will destroy the cellular structure enough to allow easy juicing etc and so that any pectolase used can get to the juice to do it's thing - after they've been defrosted of course.....

regards

JtFB

p.s. of course, once the fruit are frozen its a very convenient way of keeping them until you're ready to actually make the batch of wine.... then it's just a case of defrosting and off you go....

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                            X