Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck or fermented?

Hello
    I recently tried a recipe for tinned pineapple, worked great, so i tried one for peach (tinned) but instead of 1 gallon i tried a 5 gallon, all i did was times the recipe by five, everything seemed fine, but now looks like fermenting has stopped (bubble every 2 mins or more, S.G staying at 1030 (start was 1110) for about a week now) Its still sweet, does it have to get down to 1000/990? has this finished or stuck? i just dont know.
    Original recipe was (1 gallon)

Peach (Tinned)

16oz tin peaches (U.S. 19fl oz)
    2 1/2 lbs sugar (U.S. 2lb)
    1 teaspoon citric acid
    1 Tsblespoon pectic enzyme (U.S. 5 teaspoons)
    1/2 teaspoon tannin
    1 nutrient tablet (B1) (or 1 teaspoon yeast nutrient)
    yeast
    Water to 1 gallon
    i did every thing times by 5, the peach was a 2.4kg tin from makro.
    Thanks in advance
    Rob

Depending on the alcohol toxicity level of the yeast you used, your ferment could very well be stuck. Many strains of commercial yeast die off once the alcohol goes above 14-15%. And if you started at 1.110, then there's a good chance that's what happened.

Temperature is also key. If a fermentation is too cold, it will sometimes stick when very little sugar remains. If that's the case, just move it someplace warmer, and it may start up again on its own.
    Steve

Comment

If your figures are correct the abv of the wine should be about 10.8% so I doubt if the yeast has reached it's alcohol tolerance level.

What yeast did you use and what is the temp of the room that the wine is in? You could try giving it a good stir and monitoring the gravity for a few more days.

The start sg was too high (1.080 is ideal for this recipe) so I doubt if the wine will ferment out to dry.
      National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

You beat me to it by half a second Steve.
        National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Originally posted by dogsbelly View Post
          2 1/2 lbs sugar (U.S. 2lb)
          1 Tsblespoon pectic enzyme (U.S. 5 teaspoons)
          1/2 teaspoon tannin
          1 nutrient tablet (B1) (or 1 teaspoon yeast nutrient)
          yeast
          Water to 1 gallon
          By the way, I'm not sure what conversion you used, but a tablespoon is three teaspoons, and there is NO difference between US and UK teaspoons or pounds. There's an old saying: a pound is a pound the world round (unless it's a quid, I suppose ).

There is, however, a difference between US and UK (aka "imperial") gallons. An imperial gallons is 1.2 US gallons.
          Last edited by NorthernWiner; 05-11-2009, 06:56 PM. Reason: typo
          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Richard S View Post
            If your figures are correct the abv of the wine should be about 10.8% so I doubt if the yeast has reached it's alcohol tolerance level.
            That's true... I didn't see that it was currently at 1.030 until I read his post a second time.
            Steve

Comment

Stuck

Hello, thanks for very fast reply(s)
              Right,
              the recipe was from this forum, peach tinned i just copied and paste.

Yeast is youngs Super wine yeast (is this a poor choice? i keep reading latvin something like that?) All my ingredients are currently youngs, pectolase etc. Should i be using them from my local HBS?

Temp been around 19-23 degrees currently 21.2
              Should i stick me brew belt round to keep it constant?
              I thought about 10% abv using the chart avalable here too.
              I dont know what is meant by "alcohol toxicity level of the yeast" does that mean good/bad yeast or are you saying too much toxicty is effecting the yeast?

Thankyou!
              Rob

Comment

Can you show me where the recipe was?

thats a bad recipe and needs deleting (I cant find it)
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Each strain of yeast has a different resistance to alcohol. A typical yeast will die when the alcohol level gets to 14 - 15%. In essence they poison themselves.

The temperature should be OK, but you could try lifting it a couple of degrees (make sure the brew belt doesn't overheat it.

As Richard & Steve say, give it a good stir a) to rouse the yeast from the bottom, and b) to get some oxygen into the must.

Don't give up: I did this on an apple wine which had stuck at 1.032. Nothing happened. After a few days, nothing continued to happen. It sat in the corner of the office for over three weeks, and every day I reminded myself that I really ought to chuck it out. When I DID remember, I checked the SG: 1.018. So, it took a few days but it did start limping along again (and it is still limping towards a decent finishing SG).
                  Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Location for deletion

Yeah the location is
                    Peach (Tinned) 1 411g tin peaches Sugar to SG 1.080 1 teaspoon citric acid 1 Tsblespoon (3 teaspoons) pectic enzyme 1/2 teaspoon tannin 1 nutrient tablet (B1) (or 1 teaspoon yeast nutrient) Sauternes yeast Water to 1 gallon recipe above is for a light dry table wine, for fuller bodied wine use two tins of peaches and

I have never tried to get some oxygen into the must, i assumed keep all air out incase of infection/contamination?

I will give it a stir, already put belt on, and i wont give up!

Excellent advise from everyone, i keep saying it but thank you!
                    Rob

Comment

Cheers

Recipe amended, it was posted in the early days
                      N.G.W.B.J.
                      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                      X