No announcement yet.

Blackberry and stuff wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Made a Blackberry & Apple Wine last month, used frozen Blackberries from last year's crop and one Lt of carton Apple juice, not tased it yet as its in the garage waiting for its first racking but can post the recipe if you want to give that a go.

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
      Start here:

Beginners thread, build your skills over a series of wines, a step by step guide, to better winemaking

- use Wine No.1 and/or Wine No.2 for method for cartons of Fruit Juice, Wine No.3 for fresh fruit.

Tinned fruit - there is a thread here:

- however, the early recipes talk about using boiling water. I would read the whole thread, which should give you a good feel for what is required.
      Brilliant - Just had a wee peek & it looks exactly what I need.

I'll have a right good read before attempting anything....cheers.

I'd like to see your recipe Solly, once you've tasted it & confirmed it's any good...lol.

Comment

Those Newbie Tutorial's are Awesome on Toast!!

What detail, pictures & everything!!

I'm now getting very, very excited - I've got 6 demi-johns. Freshly picked berries, fruit juice & jam (didn't get any tins...to dear for the red stuff).

Am I better to make seperate demi-johns of each type of wine i.e. fresh fruit, cartoned juice.
        Or should I make up a must with the fresh fruit & top up with the fruit juice, chucking in jam as well?

As I say, I am getting pretty excited- but I don't want to cock it up in my eagerness.

That Xmas pudding dessert wine is getting made & bottled to age in time for Christmas, what a fantastic idea...GENIUS!

Comment

Originally posted by hairytoes View Post
          Those Newbie Tutorial's are Awesome on Toast!!

What detail, pictures & everything!!

I'm now getting very, very excited - I've got 6 demi-johns. Freshly picked berries, fruit juice & jam (didn't get any tins...to dear for the red stuff).

Am I better to make seperate demi-johns of each type of wine i.e. fresh fruit, cartoned juice.
          Or should I make up a must with the fresh fruit & top up with the fruit juice, chucking in jam as well?

As I say, I am getting pretty excited- but I don't want to cock it up in my eagerness.

That Xmas pudding dessert wine is getting made & bottled to age in time for Christmas, what a fantastic idea...GENIUS!
          Welcome hairytoes
          What sort of wine do you like ?
          Standard wine number one, is a lovely white quaffing wine.. which can be drunk straight away.
          Wine from fresh or tinned fruit will improve greatly with age, so requires a great deal of patience.
          I have never made a jam wine, but I imagine that would also require a degree of aging.

If you have the stuff in to start a wine number one or two, I would definatley start off with that... as when its ready it can be drunk Then start another immediatley
          I would also start off either a fruit or a jam wine, of whatever your taste is. And when its ready, you will have the wine number one/two to drink and let this mature.
          Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Originally posted by spritzer View Post
            Welcome hairytoes
            What sort of wine do you like ?
            Standard wine number one, is a lovely white quaffing wine.. which can be drunk straight away.
            Wine from fresh or tinned fruit will improve greatly with age, so requires a great deal of patience.
            I have never made a jam wine, but I imagine that would also require a degree of aging.

If you have the stuff in to start a wine number one or two, I would definatley start off with that... as when its ready it can be drunk Then start another immediatley
            I would also start off either a fruit or a jam wine, of whatever your taste is. And when its ready, you will have the wine number one/two to drink and let this mature.
            I like any wine really, I'm not at all snobby or overly fussing regarding the stuff - saying that I don't like Cote du Rhone though...but pretty much anything else is grand...the missus loves Cote du Rhone though.

I'm certainly going to try all the 4 newbie wines & I can't wait to get the plum duff one going.

I've just been reading up on the methods & seen all sorts I wasn't aware of: wine from cartons of fruit juice, jam, tins of fruit etc...
            Really opened my eyes to a whole new world of mucking about, I love mucking about & experimenting with stuff - so this is going to be great!

Thanks for the welcome.

Comment

I would suggest that you don't put everything al in together, but follow Spitzers advice.

You can make a reasonable wine from jam, but don't forget two things:

1) The fruit has been boiled and you may get a 'stewed' flavour and 2) the setting agent is pectin so you would need to add extra pectolase in order to get rid of it.

Another point to watch is the sugar content, don't add any until you've tested the SG or you could end up with syrup.

Hope this helps
              Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by hairytoes View Post
                I like any wine really, I'm not at all snobby or overly fussing regarding the stuff - saying that I don't like Cote du Rhone though...but pretty much anything else is grand...the missus loves Cote du Rhone though.

I'm certainly going to try all the 4 newbie wines & I can't wait to get the plum duff one going.

I've just been reading up on the methods & seen all sorts I wasn't aware of: wine from cartons of fruit juice, jam, tins of fruit etc...
                Really opened my eyes to a whole new world of mucking about, I love mucking about & experimenting with stuff - so this is going to be great!

Thanks for the welcome.
                Well... if you like owt, deffo get a wine number 1 or 2 or both on the go first.
                You said that you had picked some fresh berries...
                Personally, I freeze mine, then when I have enough for 5 gal, I use them. I find it breaks the fruit down easier, when they defrost. Less work, more juice
                There is lots of help on here. And the tuturials are fantastic. I am sure you will have great fun experimenting with new wines
                Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Working...
                X