Mixed or Pure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed or Pure?

I come seeking advice and guidance - I have 10lbs assorted apples, 4.5lbs of damsons, and 4lbs + of Elderberries - each enough in its own right to create a gallon of Apple, Damson, and Elderberry wine - however, is there some combination of these fruits that would produce a more interesting / better wine, and if so could you give me a clue as to quantities?

(I do also have a load of tinned peaches and pineapple which I was going to experiment with when fresh produce all harvested and bubbling away - are these best left to their own concuctions?)

All opoinions gratefully welcomed, and I thank you in advance.

Originally posted by TStarr View Post
    I come seeking advice and guidance - I have 10lbs assorted apples, 4.5lbs of damsons, and 4lbs + of Elderberries - each enough in its own right to create a gallon of Apple, Damson, and Elderberry wine - however, is there some combination of these fruits that would produce a more interesting / better wine, and if so could you give me a clue as to quantities?

(I do also have a load of tinned peaches and pineapple which I was going to experiment with when fresh produce all harvested and bubbling away - are these best left to their own concuctions?)

All opoinions gratefully welcomed, and I thank you in advance.
    Me ? I'd do a mixed one of all three. 10lb of apples is enough, depending on recipe, but I'd think along the lines of making a 3 gallon batch.....

After all, apples and damsons for good flavour, but while IMO, the elderberries have a "generic" fruit sort of flavour before ferment, then add body, tannin, excellent colour, etc etc.

I'd check up with the damsons though, as they're more closely related to plums and if you looked through Luc Volders blog (or search the forums for mentions of it - it's been linked a couple of times to my knowledge), it's worth reading his comments about treating plums with soda ash before juicing/de-stoning/fermenting etc, as the natural waxy coating can, apparently, make plum wine (and presumably closely related fruit like damson) a bit of a swine to get clear.....

Just my 2 pence worth.....

regards

jtfb
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
    X