Apple Concentrate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Concentrate

Hello there. I have just brought Terry Gareys book "the joy of home winemaking" and have what is probably a stupid question, but I can't find an answer anywhere.

Having lived in Canada for a few years I am familiar with the frozen apple juice (I always thought what a weird concept) mentioned in Terrys first recipe, but now I’m back in the UK and I’m sure it’s not something you can buy over here. So my question is what can I use as a substitute? It’s obviously apple concentrate but I can’t even find where to buy that! I know the book is well known, so people must have a work around.

Thanks for your help.

Any of the main supermarkets will keep juice made from concentrate, but I'd have thought that it would depend on what it is that you're trying to make ?

For example, if you're trying to approximate west country cider, then you'd need to add tannin and malic acid, whereas a cider that's like Kentish cider would just need a little acid.

So maybe if you post the recipe you're thinking of, someone can suggest a likely location (apart from the supermarkets of course). Or a likely substitute.........

regards

jtfb
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

You could always try the apple juice concentrates that come in the form of tinned cider kits.
      Personally i find the supermarket cartons make perfectly pleasent apple wine.

Comment

All the supermarkets carry apple juice from concentrate, some however carry pure apple juice.

My favourites are the coppella apple juice carried by most supermarkets,

and....Lild apple nectar, and the lidl one is the most "apple-ey" juice

regards
        Bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I think this recipe will work for you

This will be a supermarket juice wine, as this is the easiest wine to make.....should be ready to drink in about 4-5 weeks...oh and it tastes good too! :) follow the recipe and method closely and dont be tempted to alter anything, we want to build winemaking skills, and so will start with this simple wine, and then progress

When I make a 5 gallon batch of wine No1 I make one of the litres of apple juice the coppella apple and elderflower, and add it when ferment is almost done, this adds a lovely elderflower boquet, adding it late prevents the delicate floral nose from being blown out of the airlock during the more vigorous early stages of fermentation.

hope that helps
          regards
          Bob
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. The recipe I was going to try is below but I’m going to attempt the wine no1 listed in the forum, they’re very similar anyway. I’ve got a 25 litre fermenter so I Guess I just scale the ingredients up for that.

The recipe I was going to try is:
            1 12 oz can of frozen apple juice
            1 6oz can of frozen lemonade
            1lb of sugar
            1 gallon of water
            1 pkt of wine yeast
            ½ teaspoon of pectic enzyme
            5 campden tablets.

Comment

Is it me, or does anyone else think 5 campden tablets in a 1 gallon recipe is too much?
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

It is in fact exactly 5 times too much
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                  It is in fact exactly 5 times too much
                  Just as a confirmation Bob, presumably as it's 1 campden for a 1 gallon batch it's 5 for a 5 gallon batch ? Or is it that your recommend is just the 1 for a 5 gallon batch ? as it provides enough ?

regards

jtfb
                  Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by Delmonteman View Post
                    You could always try the apple juice concentrates that come in the form of tinned cider kits.
                    Personally i find the supermarket cartons make perfectly pleasent apple wine.
                    Now that's a damn fine idea, I hadn't thought of that.

It just happens that I've got an "out of date" cider kit that I keep meaning to use up, but depends on which bit of West Sussex Ernie Wise is in. If you send me a PM Ernie, then I can give you directions and you can have that if you want......

regards

jtfb

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                    X