Stackmonkey's Progress thread :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea, sounds like alot of fun!

Maybe you should also use a straining bag in the bucket to keep all the fruit pulp in.
    REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

yes you have been a busy bunny

the ones that have S.G measurements of 1.040 and especially the one at 1.090 seem like they may be stuck ferments, i would be hesitant to bottle these ones for fear of ferment restarting.

Also a couple of things, (not trying to be picky or clever ) but why are you needing to strain it? you should be racking to gain clarity, so should be leaving the stuff behind that you are straining off

if it is still murky, then leave it till later before you rack, or add finings to aid clearing before you rack.

Stabilising will inhibit further fermentation NOT prevent it and at SG 1.090 there is lots and lots and lots of sugar available for future fermentation, so some care is needed here to avoid the danger of exploding bottles! I met a guy who had an injury caused by an exploding bottle and it wasn't pretty, he was lucky not to lose his hand.

Again I must stress that im not trying to be clever but I think that a wine with an SG of 1.090 cannot in any way be considered finished, especially as you do not have the starting SG.

please take care

regards
      Bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Is it possible these wines have been stabilized and then sweetened up to those SG's?
        REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

hmmmmm

could be I suppose but 1.090 is about 24% sugar (I think) thats incredibly sweet

Stackmonkey can you give us a bit more detail mebbe?

regards
          bob
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Bob, I agree. That's what I usually start the wine at. I wondered when I read it if perhaps it was a typo and the wine is really at 1009?
            Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

I'm MUCH more patient than I used to be....but still sometimes want things to happen quicker (I am getting better though)

It is amazing how patience can pay dividends, and the more wine you have in reserve the easier the patience thing becomes.
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Forgot to add

I made an apple wine a while back and the ferment stuck, after many attempts to restart it (and because I was impatient) I stabilized it and bottled, we had a party the following summer and everyone loved the wine, all 6 bottles went in one evening, just goes to show.

It was stuck at about 1.035 if I remember right
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by stackmonkey
                  The over-sweet damson batches will be left to mature as long as I dare (it was intended to be a port)

You cannot age stuff into becoming Port

Port is created by fortifying with spirits, killing the yeast and leaving residual sugars

Your wine may age well, becoming rounder and fuller but it wont turn into Port no matter how long you mature it.

but also has some considerable 'kick', suggesting it won't ferment much further anyway.
                  Only your hydrometer will tell you if it will ferment further or not

Accurate testing, record keeping and good technique are the recipe for success.(it aslo means you can replicate success and avoid failures) guesswork and assumption will never create great wine.

If you follow a disciplined routine using good practices then your chances of producing good wine are enhanced, if you are slapdash then your chances of failure are increased.

regards
                  Bob
                  Last edited by lockwood1956; 12-01-2007, 10:43 AM.
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

guava juice, now thats sounds interesting

regards
                    Bob
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

In which case I will have a more rounded and fuller very sweet and very strong damson wine!
                      Improved technique and record keeping will be key for me this year.

LOL

excellent stuff

cheers
                      Bob
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

It came in the last decision making, remember?
                        I can't remember what happened yesterday, that's why I have to make notes

regards
                        Bob
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Ouch thats a lot of sugar, an sg of 1.150 or more, good job you've a sweet tooth mate, lol .
                          Discount Home Brew Supplies
                          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                          National Wine Judge
                          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Trying hard not to sound head masterly
                            But you really must start using your hydrometer

with these stuck ferments it's only a matter of time before one starts re-fermenting (no matter how much you think it is stabilised) and the bottle pressurises, creating a glass hand grenade, I have seen the injuries caused by this and it really isn't pretty, so if you are giving these away (and even if you aren't) you really need to nail your technique down, please don't think it wont happen to you...it will.

You really should be starting with an S.G. of around 1.090 (give or take 0.010) and if you want the alc higher then feed it with sugar during ferment.

you say your wines are knockout strength....I suspect not.

They will seem to be quite strong because they are young, and the alcohol will be to the fore, but as they age they will probably taste less alcohol-ey
                            check the new members start here area for some great (free) download-able (easy to read) material that will get you on the right track

regards
                            Bob
                            Last edited by lockwood1956; 14-01-2007, 08:18 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes (again!)
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Here you go

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Good advice Bob, way too much sugar for any brew, unless your makin sherry.
                                I think a tutorial on using a hydrometer correctly may be a good post, and explaining the vital use of this tool, i will try but being a novice may not cover it 100%...Karl.
                                Discount Home Brew Supplies
                                Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                                Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                                National Wine Judge
                                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Working...
                                X