Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not trying to be contrdictory here, but most of the juice/ sugar from that tinned fruit will be in the juice, 1.066 in my opinion is a little low, keep checking the sg as you top up' you may need to add more sugar to get the right sg.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
      Not trying to be contrdictory here, but most of the juice/ sugar from that tinned fruit will be in the juice, 1.066 in my opinion is a little low, keep checking the sg as you top up' you may need to add more sugar to get the right sg.
      ooo interesting, what makes you think most of the sugar from the fruit will be in the juice?

some of the sugar "may" have leeched out,(I'm not convinced that much of it will have, but could be wrong) but even if thats the case there will still be enough sugar left in the fruit from three tins to take the SG above 1.080 (its only a lift of 0.014) but even at 1.066 that gives 10.3% abv (assuming it ferments to 0.990)which is enough to make the wine keepable. and this style of wine only wants to be 11 to 12% anyway

IMHO

regards
      Bob
      Last edited by lockwood1956; 10-02-2008, 01:48 AM.
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Just as a bit of an "aside".

The turbo cider I made recently, because I didn't read the packet, was apple/peach.

The peach, as I worked out afterwards, was both juice and pulp.

This resulted in a very deep sludge when the ferment was finished.

So I was thinking (without actually looking in my canned/tinned fruit wine book) whether it (a peach wine recipe) would, if the recipe said about crushing/chopping the fruit, need racking more often.

To make the final settled layer of lees/sludge a bit more "normal".

The cider recipe I screwed up was 3 litres apple and 1 litre peach (should have been pear). The resulting lees/sludge was between 1.5 and 2 inches deep in the bottom of a 1 gallon DJ. So I racked it at the end of the ferment and topped it off with more apple.

Only then did it occur to me that peaches are actually quite fibrous fruit, which might go some way to explaining the deep sedimentary layer.

Whether that'd apply to a peach wine recipe I don't know. Though I'm thinking of having a look at the book again and trying it. It does sound rather delicious.

regards

JtFB
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Rack at 1.020 to 1.010 and then rack again when ferment is finished, that should produce the required result, with careful racking you should be able to leave the majority of sediment behind.

It may need racking further times as it clears an ages, but there should only be a dusting of lees after the first two rackings. (if you rack correctly)

regards
          bob
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Well I checked it today and it was down to 1.008,so into a clean container it went:-)
            Area reserved for intelligent comments......

Comment

• whoo hoo

isnt this hobby great?

did you have a little taste?
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Yes I "accidently" had a taste when I siphoned it,and again from the trial jar.It was fruity,but it still had a bit of sweetness to it.In fact,if it was cold I would have had a glass or two.Accidently of course.

Comment

• "accidentally"

yes thats it........accidentally
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Well I thought it had finished last week when I racked it,but it must have liked it`s new home as it started bubbling away and still is.It`s dropping another thick layer of sediment.I`m now wondering what the final gravity will be,as it was 1.008 last week.
                    Do you think this could be connected to my query about the OG and the release of sugars from the fruit?
                    I just mashed the fruit with a spud masher,I think next time I`ll use a blender to maximise the fruits opportunity to release sugar.

Comment

• At 1.008 it was far from finished, ferment may have slowed down due to lack of nutrient or low temperature. Sg of 1.000 or less may be considered finished, your yeast may be exhausted due to lack of nutrient or high alcohol content.
                      After reading your post again..have you tranfered to secondary under airlock, as you should not have fruit pulp in your wine at this point ?
                      National Wine Judge
                      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Yep,it`s still under an airlock and will be until I know it`s completely finished,regardless of how many time I rack it.

Comment

• Well the strawberry wine I started was looking a bit murky still so I degassed it(took quite a while,loads of bubbles,quite surprised me)and then added some finings.Now it looks a hell of a lot worseHow long does it take for finings to work their magic?

Comment

• Originally posted by ukmike99 View Post
                            How long does it take for finings to work their magic?
                            A day or two for the large bits to settle, maybe upto 2 weeks before it's all settled and compressed a bit.

Patience... (I have none though either!!)

Rich

Comment

• I`ve just looked at it and the top half has cleared lovely and there`s a load of jelly like sediment at the bottom

Had a look at these finings on web and they are fish based.They don`t affect the taste of the winedo they? Don`t fancy Sushi wine much

Comment

• Nothing to worry about, they leave no aftertaste whatsoever
                                National Wine Judge
                                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Working...
                                X