Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I prefer drier wines, so I'm going to try starting at 1.080 and see what happens.

Admission time - the reason I need the recipe is that, whilst making a batch of something different last night, I inadvertantly opened the wrong yeast! (must have fallen out of the cupboard whilst picking the correct one, then picked wrong one up from worktop, opened it without looking). Moral - don't make wine when tired and/or after a few glasses of the finished product! Being tight, I didn't want to waste a whole sachet of RC212, and there are tins of blackcurrants in the cupboard, so .....

EDIT: Duff - just saw your post. Don't worry mate, I use it all the time. In fact, I'm about to order a spare, because I'm bound to break this one just at the time I really need it.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Has anybody had trouble getting tinned peach wine to clear? I've even put mine through a Harris filter and it still won't clear.

Comment

• Originally posted by danpug View Post
        Has anybody had trouble getting tinned peach wine to clear? I've even put mine through a Harris filter and it still won't clear.
        Add pectolase (2tsp per gallon) peach wine can be difficult to clear.

regards
        bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• I added 1 tsp per gallon before fermenting. Do you think i should another tsp per gallon now? Is it not a bit wierd the filter wouldn't clear it?

Comment

• Filters are for polishing clear wines.

A hazy or cloudy wine needs a fining agent. Stone fruit wines are notoriously hard to clear. An extra dose of pectic enzyme now will do it loads of good.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

• Originally posted by danpug View Post
              I added 1 tsp per gallon before fermenting. Do you think i should another tsp per gallon now? Is it not a bit wierd the filter wouldn't clear it?
              Do you not want to take the advice for some reason?

I said you should add more pectolase, so yes thats what I think....

Its is far from weird that the filter wouldn't clear it, thats not what filters are for, they are for polishing allready clear wines.
              Last edited by lockwood1956; 31-07-2008, 05:34 PM.
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• I've added finings to one of the demijohns, i'll wait and see how it gets on. In future i'll add more pectolase, i didn't realise peach was a bugger to clear! Thanks for your help guys.

Comment

• OK, who has a recipe for tinned rhubarb (or rhubarb-and-something)?

39p per 500+g tin in Tesco's - it sould be a shame not to

EDIT: didn't check my original post - said 3p per tin, not 39p! Sorry if you have just got back, disappointed, from Tesco's
                  Pete the Instructor

Comment

• No sooner had I posted here, than JTFB posted a recipe here:

Afew weeks ago tinned strawberries at Tesco's were 25p, last week they were 42p, and today I see there 52p! Should have bought in bulk afew months ago:crying::crying::crying:

So it looks like I'm sorted
                    Pete the Instructor

Comment

• These sound really good!
                      I've 4 tins of strawberries in the cupboard so might have a go if my current attempt is a success (and even if it's not!)

Comment

• Tinned strawberry recipe amended

1 15oz tin of strawberries
                        2 1/4 lb sugar
                        3 teaspoons citric acid
                        1/2 teaspoon tannin
                        1 tsp Pectolase
                        1 Vitamin B1 tablet or yeast energiser
                        Good quality yeast
                        Water to 1 gallon

Am i reading this correctly?, 1 tin of strawberries for a gallon of wine?

Comment

• Originally posted by mctoon View Post
                          Tinned strawberry recipe amended

1 15oz tin of strawberries
                          2 1/4 lb sugar
                          3 teaspoons citric acid
                          1/2 teaspoon tannin
                          1 tsp Pectolase
                          1 Vitamin B1 tablet or yeast energiser
                          Good quality yeast
                          Water to 1 gallon

Am i reading this correctly?, 1 tin of strawberries for a gallon of wine?
                          To be honest, yes it does seem a little poor on the fruit front, there is also no body or base for vinosity.

Add 1ltr of grape juice
                          1tlr of apple juice
                          2 tins of strawberry
                          forget the sugar and start with a sg of 1.080
                          add all the other adjuncts, except the acid (try 1 tsp at a time, 3 seems excessive) an Bob's yer uncle...
                          Last edited by Duffbeer; 08-11-2008, 01:46 PM.
                          Discount Home Brew Supplies
                          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                          National Wine Judge
                          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• I started this wine earlier in the week and followed the recipe, except I used 2 tins per gallon. I had no tannin either, so added some black tea instead. Think the tins were 425g each.
                            It seems to be going ok so far ... but I'm still new to wine making My first one was a big hit though

Comment

• Originally posted by Trish View Post
                              I started this wine earlier in the week and followed the recipe, except I used 2 tins per gallon. I had no tannin either, so added some black tea instead. Think the tins were 425g each.
                              It seems to be going ok so far ... but I'm still new to wine making My first one was a big hit though
                              Trish, is that all you added 2 tins of strawb?, no juice?

I might give it a go, and another one with extra juice just in case!!!

Comment

• I've made this and used 5 tins for 2 gallons, including the juice in the tin. I think 2 per gallon would suffice but I decided to add the extra as I'd over-bought. One tin certainly didn't seem enough to me, anyway.
                                Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Working...
                                X