This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
    It's fine, straining bag just makes the job tidier and easier when it comes time to remove the pulp

regards
    Bob
    Phew

Can you just confirm what Mami told me, I can pour the bucket into a funnel with gauze into a DJ? I'm worried it will oxidize because of the drop from funnel to bottom of DJ

thanks for your help Bob, your like the Gandalf of the wine making world lol All knowing!
    Last edited by Tuco; 30-01-2009, 05:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pronay View Post
      Phew

Can you just confirm what Mami told me, I can pour the bucket into a funnel with gauze into a DJ? I'm worried it will oxidize because of the drop from funnel to bottom of DJ
      Of course I can confirm what Mamgi told you, you dont get to be a moderator of a winemaking website unless you know what you are doing.

It wont oxidise from dropping from the funnel into the DJ

regards
      Bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Been trawling thru the tinned Lychee thread and all of this thread too.
        My question is Bob, does your book have (a) anything useful recipe wise to add for a tinned lychee must, and (b) is there a tinned mango wine in there?
        All the mango recipes I've searched for seem to be for fresh fruit. Would absolutely love to do it that way but down here mangoes don't grow and the imported stuff sold in the shops is cr@p.
        They just don't ripen, so it's tinned ones I'm stuck with.
        Moving on, still on the tinned front - I notice some recipes call for WGC, others don't. Any particular reason please?

Comment

• Although the question was aimed at Bob, I'll chip in a give my 2 cents.. If you follow the lychee wine to the letter you shouldn't be disapointed. Goldseal tried a bottle last Friday, and was amazed. Made me feel better, hope his turns out as good!

Also, adding white grape concentrate should add some viscosity, We've also just been using 1 litre cartons of white grape juice for a similar effect.

Hope that helps, and welcome to the forum NZ, nice

Comment

• Originally posted by petes View Post
            Moving on, still on the tinned front - I notice some recipes call for WGC, others don't. Any particular reason please?
            Well it depends on the age of that recipe, today we are blessed with the ability to obtain grape juice or grape concentrate quite easily and as a result can make wines that are of a commercial standard, bouquet, mouthfeel, vinosity etc.
            However in the day's where many of the older recipe's come from these things were not available and recipe's had to include banana liquer etc etc to provide body for otherwise flat wines, parsnip was also another body building ingredient that would add a little body to otherwise high alcohol, sweet country wines, loved by those that made them, hated by those who didn't expext the after effects in the morning .
            To answer your question fully, yes, I believe all wines need some form of grape juice or concentrate to make them good wines. Now you can make some pleasant fruit (country wines) too, but at the end of the day without body they will never be quite paletable as a commercial wine.
            That's my ramble over and out
            Discount Home Brew Supplies
            Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
            Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
            National Wine Judge
            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Originally posted by Rich View Post
              ..... If you follow the lychee wine to the letter you shouldn't be disapointed. Goldseal tried a bottle last Friday, and was amazed. Made me feel better, hope his turns out as good! ....
              You won't, I was, and I do
              Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Rich, Duffbeer, goldseal - thanks for the responses guys: should have this down by day's end. Just happen to have some WGC here I picked up 'in case'.
                Lychee and a Mango; here I come.
                Cheers, petes

Comment

• Originally posted by Rich View Post
                  Also, adding white grape concentrate should add some viscosity, We've also just been using 1 litre cartons of white grape juice for a similar effect.
                  A good example of this is the Strawberry recipe on Page 1 of this thread.

I have found that, made as per the recipe, the wine is pleasant. However, adding a 1 litre carton of supermarket white grape juice gives it more body and smooths the flavours out.

Remember that the grape juice contains sugar, so you need to reduce your sugar addition accordingly.
                  Pete the Instructor

Comment

• I have been wanting to try this Strawberry wine recipe out for a while, so told the wife to get some tins in. Trouble is she came back with 2 tins of strawberrys in GRAPE JUICE!
                    Will this be ok to use, or does it have to be in syrup?
                    Cheers guys!

Comment

• Originally posted by hong View Post
                      I have been wanting to try this Strawberry wine recipe out for a while, so told the wife to get some tins in. Trouble is she came back with 2 tins of strawberrys in GRAPE JUICE!
                      Will this be ok to use, or does it have to be in syrup?
                      Cheers guys!
                      Should be fine, the grape juice will probably be more benefitial than the syrup.
                      National Wine Judge
                      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                        Should be fine, the grape juice will probably be more benefitial than the syrup.

Coo, I'd have said so - an added bonus there Hong.
                        Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• I adjusted the Strawberry recipe and added a litre of grape juice, which in my opinion improved the wine, so I agree with Duff and Mamgiowl.

I imagine your tins of strawberries might be a bit lower in sugar than the strawberries in syrup, so you might need a bit more sugar. As always though, don't blindly add the sugar - use your hydrometer.
                          Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Thanks for the replys guys, only one more question because the strawberrys are in grape juice do you think i should add any more grape or apple juice for vinosity purposes?

Comment

• Originally posted by hong View Post
                              Thanks for the replys guys, only one more question because the strawberrys are in grape juice do you think i should add any more grape or apple juice for vinosity purposes?
                              I would still add a litre of grape and a litre of apple, I doubt the grape juice with the strawberries would be enough from two tins.
                              National Wine Judge
                              N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Ok guys, i`m just about to start a 1 gallon batch of strawberry, one last question ( for the time being! )

Is it best to start off in a bucket or demijohn?

Comment

Working...
                                X