No announcement yet.

First One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After adding 1 3/4 lb of sugar it came out at 1060.So I boiled another 7oz cooled added and it still was not there,so in the end I just poured the sugar straight into the must stirred thoroughly measured repeated until I got it right,well just over right at 1094.
    thanks,
    yul

I`m doing 4.5lt.
    Last edited by yul; 09-09-2007, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Just racked to a demi - john after initial 5 days fermenting in bucket. What do I do with the extra that I have in a couple of coke bottles for top up?do I let it ferment out then put in fridge or do I put it straight in fridge without it fermenting out.

Comment

You need it in a container where you can attach a bung and airlock and let it ferment out while using it to top up.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Originally posted by yul View Post
          Just racked to a demi - john after initial 5 days fermenting in bucket. What do I do with the extra that I have in a couple of coke bottles for top up?do I let it ferment out then put in fridge or do I put it straight in fridge without it fermenting out.
          Agree you need an air lock with the rubber bung? do you have this? If not try the plastic wrap suggestion below but get to the shop and get the air locks going - leaving it open to the air will result in a contamination problem.

for the pop bottles use the same temporary idea - plastic wrap - keep the air away from the must. Get a small 1/2 gallon container or another glass container that you can rack the pop bottle top up must into. Sorry no fridge at this time it is still fermenting and you want it to continue. Hope you have undertaken this previously? Cheers if not get after it as soon as possible. Cheers DAW

Plastic wrap vs airlocks: Later on in your winemaking career I will encourage you to use a proper rubber bung and air lock instead of the rubber band and plastic (to keep the air out and let the gas out of the bottle), but this is your first gallon, and this method should be okay.

Comment

Hi yul, let it ferment out ,keep cap on coke bottle ( tighten then slacken by 1/2 a turn) and keep with the d/j.
            Last edited by Duffbeer; 15-09-2007, 10:19 AM.
            Discount Home Brew Supplies
            Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
            Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
            National Wine Judge
            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

I'm not sure I would leave it in the coke bottles

Some kind of airlock system would be better (even a balloon over the end of the coke bottle with a pin hole in it)
              prefereable to allowing it to build up any kind of pressure, which may end up in you having a frizzante wine (not good unless you meant it!) as the wine could end up with a lot of CO2 dissolved in it, that perhaps cant be released later.

unless you are very very dilligent releasing the pressure then i think you may end up with problems.

regards
              Bob
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Just an update it has finished fermenting so racked to a clean container, is there any thing I should add to stabalise it now or do I just leave it alone untill clear then bottle.

Comment

Update, all bottled,6 altogether and wifey said this . I will get a picture up at some point as I put a couple in clear bottles for you all to see. One thing, thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                  X