• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Busy boy!
    Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

The berries are starting to swell at last (spent the last week on a beach and by a pool in Greece worrying about them)

They are swelling unevenly but I'm not worried about that, they are swelling, thats the main thing.
      Attached Files
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I got no buds or flowers on mine this year, same with blueberries, so altogether a complete washout
        Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
          The berries are starting to swell at last (spent the last week on a beach and by a pool in Greece worrying about them)

They are swelling unevenly but I'm not worried about that, they are swelling, thats the main thing.

Have you had any mil dew problems with all the rain? we have had a terrible for white flies and aphids with all the heat and no rain.. Cheers DAW

Comment

No mildew problems so far Daw

but thats coz its been wet and cold, not wet and hot!
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

They look good Bob. Are they also well fruited higher up?

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

No mildew problems so far Daw

but thats coz its been wet and cold, not wet and hot!

Just wondering - does the long range forecast call for warmer weather? Is it possible to be proactive and try to catch any that is likely to occur or is it best to wait and see if the problem happens? Cheers DAW

Comment

Originally posted by StockeyDAW View Post
                  Just wondering - does the long range forecast call for warmer weather? Is it possible to be proactive and try to catch any that is likely to occur or is it best to wait and see if the problem happens? Cheers DAW

Just a small note that I wanted to ask if a spray of sulphur may be considered to prevent any possibility of mil dew from happening?

Comment

I spray with Sulphur every 2 weeks, no mildew presently but better to be sure. currently using "systhane" (miclobutanil) against powdery mildew and black spot and am using "dithane" (mancozeb) against downy mildew

powdery mildew is the main issue in these parts according to the UK vineyards association.

Apparently we are due to have a good end to the summer, it is predicted to be much warmer for the next two months thankfully
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie View Post
                      They look good Bob. Are they also well fruited higher up?

there is some fruit higher up but mostly its near the bottom wire, should make it easier when it comes time to net them, we have lots of hungry birds, they stripped my cherry tree overnight........4 years now and still not had a crop, and the tree is too big to net, but will have to have a go next year
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Yea, kind of a catch 22 when you need birds to eat bugs but then they eat the fruit also! I had a huge blackberry crop this year, got them in the freezer, hoping for good wine from them, might mix with plums. All that must wait until after all the vacations are over and school starts back. Cheers.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Great news there about the blackberries; with your expertise I am sure they will turn out great. My bumper crop this year is mulberries - beautiful plump and juicy picked right off the bush each morning. I am closing in on approximately 10 pounds and still much more to come from the bush. They are all in zip lock bags in the freezer. I am planning to make MORAT with them; anyone tried this recently? Cheers DAW

Comment

MORAT?

not sure what that is....

please give more details DAW
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

MORAT?

It's wine for God's sake, cummon pay attention Bob. Ahem chairman!
                              Discount Home Brew Supplies
                              Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                              Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                              National Wine Judge
                              N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

MORAT?

Just a rough draft off the net - I will change to suit my needs. Like a melomel - except with mulberries it is Morat - the drink of the old Roman Chairman's. ? Cheers DAW

Comment

Working...
                                X