No announcement yet.

Spontaneous Shiraz Eruption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok how do you estimate or measure the SO2?
    http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Well, I'm a geek and so have paid stupid money for a test kit, but outside of that the standard proceedure is 1 campden tablet at every other racking (not terribly scientific, but its worked for UK winemakers for years.)
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        Problem there is that titret (or other sulphite) test kits are not readily available here in the UK
        I could send you a gift Bob. Leave me a msg if interested.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
          Well, I'm a geek and so have paid stupid money for a test kit, but outside of that the standard proceedure is 1 campden tablet at every other racking (not terribly scientific, but its worked for UK winemakers for years.)
          Ignore the previous post then LOL.

Comment

OK, so I'm going to throw in 5ml of 10% meta per gallon. Any objections?

(and thanks for the help people)
            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by rjb222 View Post
              I could send you a gift Bob. Leave me a msg if interested.
              Thats so kind Robert but I spent the stupid money on the kits available here (£55)
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

OH Bob you guys pay through the nose. I sell a single Titrets Tube for $3.70 one seldom needs more than one or two To get set. I have boxes of ten vials for $33.30 a Box Taking into consideration exchange you would be paying about 13.30 LBS. Per box sorry computer does not do pounds.

Comment

Update:

I had moved it all into 1gal DJs, adding lots of sulphite as per the manufacturer's advice.

After further racking, degassing and attacking with a copper pipe I bottled some of it.

Rich tried a bottle on some volunteers and pronounced it egg-free and generally OK.

I bottled another DJ today - the bit left over was suprisingly good - on a par quality-wise with Beaverdale's Barolo.

The remaining three DJs don't smell good - I have treated 2 of them but to be honest I have got so sensitive to the eggy smell that I'm smelling it when it doesn't actually exist.

Fingers crossed I can salvage the rest.
                  Last edited by goldseal; 11-02-2009, 11:04 PM.
                  Pete the Instructor

Comment

Update:

I found a bottle of this lurking in a cupboard. Of course, it needed tasting, purely for research purposes ....

I reckon this is just as good at the Beaverdale Barolo, regarded by some as the best value for money kit on the market.

Pete the Instructor

Comment

just read this thread for the first time with much interest as this is the kit i've done. Followed instructions and have an odd result that you may have read about elsewhere on this forum. about half of it is not right, at first couldn't identify what except it wasn't right, but after a while reckoned it was slightly geranium smelling. Next time i open one i'll look out for egginess. I'm keen to identify what is wrong as most folks rate beaverdale kits and many have done shiraz. Interestingly i started my kit around the same time as you started yours. i wonder if it was just a bad year's juice? or if its the MLF and sorbate, or some sulphur thing. Anyway good to know its turned out well cos i still have a gallon in a DJ in a cool space.
                      To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                      A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

Working...
                      X