• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Wayne,

welcome aboard, man you have it bad

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• oh.......
      and we wont get bored of talking about your wine
      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Yes real bad, It's so bad that when I buy something the first thing my daughter says is "dad, is that for you wine?" more often than not the answer is YES.

Glad about the bit about not getting bored.

Comment

• Welcome Wayne. Yes you have it bad but the good news is it gets even worse.
          Simon
          "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

• Looking forward to it getting worse!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by wayne View Post
              (this is also the first forum i've ever joined!!!!). The wines I have maturing at the moment are

Kiwi
              Plumb
              Plumb with raisins
              Plumb with grape juice
              Kiwi
              Nectarine
              Carrot
              Damson
              Damson with raisins
              Damson with grapejuice
              Raspberry
              Beetroot
              strawberry

Fermenting
              Mixed Dark Berries and Damson (Secondry)
              Damson with grape concentrate (primary).
              This was my first forum too, its a good one, these gents will answer any questions, and just reading all the posts helped me a lot. I have to say, that is good going since August.

Comment

• I've pretty much been flat out, at one point had 4 on the go!! slowed down now though just doing 1 or 2 at a time so I can give them my full attention. Still got loads of fruit in the freezer so should keep me out of trouble for a while!!

Comment

Still got loads of fruit in the freezer so should keep me out of trouble for a while!!
                  I have found wine does nothing but get me in trouble.

Comment

• Hi All

Thought I'd introduce myself my name is Mandi and for the past week or so I've been browsing the forum picking up hints and tips.
                    Last year I made a pear wine using Richies Hedgerow brewing kit and it seemed to go hand in hand with my other passion of camping nothing like a glass of home brew sat outside your tent with the BBQ on the go
                    So just now I have 22.5 litres of Apple, Pear & Raisin wine ready for racking and now wine 1 & 2 bubbleing away can't wait to taste it

Comment

• Hi Mandi,

Welcome aboard

regards
                      Bob
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leon View Post
                        I have found wine does nothing but get me in trouble.
                        Ha ha, in hindsight your right, although my better half has been quite tolerant so far with my new found obsession.

Comment

• I too am delighted with the depth and helpfulness of the forum, it is very appealing. I've been back to brewing a couple of years now with some super results in the kit wine & beer and, well, let's just hope it's a bit early to judge my results on the hedgerow front. My experience of another forum is that (with a few very notable exceptions) there's a tendency for anyone to proudly proclaim "I found a tin of wartime so-and-so in my great aunt's garage and I mixed it with grass cuttings, some tin-foil and a fish-head and it's bubbling away like crazy" - but they seldom seem to live long enough to give a critique of the result. So I'm really interested in the tried-&-tested recipes.

All I want to find is the Philosopher's Stone, that I can walk along a hedgerow and pick something even the birds don't want that within a reasonable period of time (say a fortnight) is the equivalent of a lucious red Burgundy. I'm sure the answer is here, I'm just having a bit of difficulty with the search engine that doesn't seem to accept my optimism.

In addition to the normal, I also make cider vinegar (about 20 litres a year keeps us going), used in all sorts of cooking and preserves. And when there's nothing to do but listen to the bubbling, wasting time messing around with labels beats anything that I really should be doing. To add a bit of colour, here's a sample page:Label Messing.jpg

Many thanks to those who have already had the patience to help and to those who have posted hints, tips, recipes & information which will be of lasting help,
                          Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
                          Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

Ha ha, in hindsight your right, although my better half has been quite tolerant so far with my new found obsession.
                            Oddly enough, mine seems very happy with hobby when there is wine to be drunk, but less so when it's dripping from the kitchen ceiling onto my assorted debris, still strewn everywhere like a portent of the end of the world.

Women eh?

Comment

• Originally posted by ToulouseLePlot View Post
                              I found a tin of wartime so-and-so in my great aunt's garage and I mixed it with grass cuttings, some tin-foil and a fish-head and it's bubbling away like crazy

Sorry, how much grass cuttings and am I adding any acids?

Comment

• Originally posted by ToulouseLePlot View Post
                                All I want to find is the Philosopher's Stone, that I can walk along a hedgerow and pick something even the birds don't want that within a reasonable period of time (say a fortnight) is the equivalent of a lucious red Burgundy. I'm sure the answer is here, I'm just having a bit of difficulty with the search engine that doesn't seem to accept my optimism.
                                If the birds like it then its likely good, anything they dont want prolly isnt worth having

For a spanking good red 2lbs eklderberries and 2 lb blackberries (brambles)....it snt going to be ready in a fortnight though, well.....you can make it in that time frame perhaps, but it needs ageing to be at its best. the process is speeded with the aid of a steam juicer though, then the wine is drinkable in year one.

hope that helps

regards
                                bob
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X