Stackmonkey's Progress thread :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmmmm

when you added the sorbate and sulphite....did you then age it a little more to be sure there was no further activity?

or straight to bottle...there is no guarantee that sorbate and sulphite will kill the yeast off completely, this is why you must age a little more before bottling, so we are sure it has stopped fermenting...especially if more sugar is added for sweetening.

I suspect a re-ferment has occurred.

could be CO2 release, but it's doubtful that there would be enough to blow a cork

there are no "inevitable" problems, you need to revisit your basics and get a good regimen in place for future batches. These things always happen for a reason, and if you develop good technique, and good practices, then these "episodes" will become less and less

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

once sorbate and sulphite added...let sit at least two weeks ( 4 is better) then sweeten and let sit the same amount of time again....if no activity (ferment wise) proceed to either further ageing (my preferred option) or bottling

regards
      Bob
      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by stackmonkey
        Thanks for the info. I was always under the impression that the sulphite 'stunned' the yeast and the sorbate killed it properly.
        NO....

sorbate prevents further yeast multiplication, but doesn't kill the little beggars that are currently active, it inhibits them, and stops them spawning baby yeasties that will carry on ferment.......but they will die out eventually, as they run out of steam, and no new ones coming behind them to carry on.......this is why we have the wait time, to make sure they are all gone to yeastie heaven

and you are correct that sulphite will stun yeast, so they could become actve again, once the "stun" has worn off

hope this helps

regards
        Bob
        Last edited by lockwood1956; 01-05-2008, 10:09 PM.
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Stackmonkey,

What quantity of sorbate and sulphite did you add?

Steve
          Steve

Comment

Take good notes, read the tutorials. Use recipes.

FOLLOW DIRECTIONS.

Then stuff can almost not go wrong.
            Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
            Twitter: VirtualWineO
            Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

Ah, now you are talking my language !

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

and another
                as my strawberry crop has somewhat failed this year I decided to try a tinned strawberry wine.
                I racked mine yesterday and it's clearing beautifully. Had a taste and it's wonderful but I will age it for a few months and see how it improves. Looking to start a new one of these, I did have trouble with it (newbie error) but thanks to the people on this forum it's seems to have turned out nice

Comment

Tinned strawberries have a lot fewer strawberries than you think....
                  5 x 400g cans had only 800g of fruit.

Fortunately the day after I'd started it a mate asked me to go fruit picking, so i was able to fill up with fresh ones too.

also started off a black and redcurrant one from PyO fruit too (mainly black).
                  Some of the supermarkets list the price, the net weight and the "drained" weight, so maybe next time I do a tinned fruit wine I'll see if it says how much fruit is in the tins, though to be fair, the out of print CJJ Berry book about making wine from tinned and dried fruit does say about just using X number of tins - he gives various tin sizes for UK/Europe/US as are commonly used/found.

regards

JtFB
                  Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

If it is juice in the tins besides fruit, would make me happy enough. When it comes to making fruit wines, especially those which contain seeds, I would much rather have the juice only without the pulp. Much like making white wine from grapes.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Hi,

-----%<-----
                      as you were
                      You forgot the "two marching paces"

But the rosemary does read as a nice sounding recipe.

Might just have to give it a go when I get 5 minutes.

regards

JtFB
                      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

You are using champagne bottles right?

I have seen lots of people around on the internet (not on here thankfully) using normal wine bottles to do this (it is dangerous practice)
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                          You are using champagne bottles right?

I have seen lots of people around on the internet (not on here thankfully) using normal wine bottles to do this (it is dangerous practice)
                          My boss decided to make herself some elderflower champagne in the summer. She put some into champagne bottles, but didn't think to wire the corks in, and the rest into wine bottles ... I howled with laughter when she told me that they'd lost the lot and described the mess it made.
                          The saddest part is that if she'd told me she was making the stuff, I could have advised her on how to make it safely and had a bottle for myself for my help.

DOH! Bosses, who needs them?!
                          HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Working...
                          X