Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youy might also want to try snipers recipe here

N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Jolly kind, chateauneuf is another favourite - have you seen how much it costs now? I'm hoping the Kenridge Languedoc might come somewhere close, but that's only been in the bottle a month and I am beginning to recognise the benefits of a little patience in the red kit department. I shall diarise Sniper's recipe for a go next autumn, I cleared out the freezer with my own grass-cutting (type) experiment a few weeks ago.

I've planted 2 vines, a damson and a mulberry, which with the established currants and blueberries should keep the demijohns occupied (given good local availibility of elder and bullace).

Leon: it all depends on whether you use fresh or composted...

chin-chin!
      Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
      Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

• Hi all. Over the Christmas holiday I picked up a Wine Kit from Wilkinson (the cheap Carafe 21 White) which is happly bubbling away in a 5 gallon barrel. Out of intrest as to what was in all the little packets and what they were for, I came across this site. I now have some more kit from ebay, and have one Demijohn with the beginners wine number 1 bubbling away like mad, and a second with the number 1 wine using Apple/elderberry mix instead of just apple (+ grape). Looking forward to compairing al lthree in a few weeks.

Mike

Comment

• It sounds like you're already on The Slippery Slope, Mike .

Welcome aboard.
          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Hin Mike

welcome aboard, wine No 1 made with apple/elderflower juice works really well, the elderflower enhancing the bouquet.

regards
            Bob
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Hi folks

I have learned so much from you guys that I just have to join up to give you my vote of appreciation for all your hard work and experience you have gained over many years.
              As a complete novice of only three months I obviously don't have a wine matured yet, but if I keep myself busy, I should have reasonable amount maturing to be able to enjoy my wines with a little less youth to them.

Many thanks for all your info. Alan

Comment

• Hi Alan,

Welcome aboard......pull up a chair

regards
                Bob
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Hi all, I work and play in Newcastle. I am newish to all this i have tried cheep kits in the past with out much success, I am so pleased to find this site learnt so much in a very short time. cant wait to get going. cheers.

Comment

• Welcome aboard

regards
                    Bob
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Hi All,

Many years ago my wife and I tried wine making, but what with young kids and travelling about it came to an end... Having recently purcheased a shed in France with a variety of fruit trees, led me back to this very adictive hobby. What have I been missing all these years. Unfortunately I work abroad in the Netherlands so when I get back each weekend, I loose my time knocking up different wines/beer etc learning all the time. I must say this site has plenty of helpful info and have spent many an hour reading through the threads.....

Having started with kits which I now have a nice variety in my newly converted cellar (garage). I've started with the fruits, my pear wine turned out superb , such a light and crisp taste to it. Then there was my pineapple juice which (fantastic result) i adapted from an orange juice wine. However I don't think my apple and berry wine is going to be so lucky but as I am slowly finding out as I am sure we all do patience is a virtue....Along with this there is the beer of which the Wherry turned out fantastic but not sure what the Black Pearl will turn out like after taking 4 weeks to ferment and only reaching 1014, but I have seen others having problems with this one...and again patience is needed. The pilsner is up for bottling tonight when I get back home...

I am looking forwards to coming on board.

Happy New Year to all..

Don't knock until you've tried it, you never know you might like it............

Sasquatch

Comment

• Welcome aboard.

You are right - if you have a wine you don't like, stick it in a cupboard and forget about it for a year or two
                        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Hello Home Winers.

Last Autumn, fed up with wading through rotting apples in my Brother's garden, I decided to try to find a use for them - and hit on cider... bought the kit and got pulping and pressing. There's about 30 gallons fermenting away in one of his spare bedrooms now. Then I bought a wine making book and started filling the fermenting bins with apple wine (or, at least I hope it's going to be apple wine at some future point) - about 15 gallons... then sloe wine (again, fingers crossed). Also there's a keg or beer (Woodford Wherry) and a bucket of Cab Sav fermenting away from kits. Most recently (yesterday, to be exact) I did a bucket of rice and raisin wine and a bucket of mead (I keep bees, by the way). It was hard work - well, dealing with the apples was hard work - and I still don't know if any of it is going to be drinkable. I, myself, am fermenting (or perhaps that should be "fomenting") questions. The wine book seems good - but a bit random and contradictory in places. I can see I'm going to be needing advice from time to time - and this looks like the ideal place to ask for it.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Sally (aka Tibley Bobley)
                          "How demeaning! To be set upon by Tibley Bobley!" - Professor Moriarty

Comment

• This forum has the ability to turn the interested into the addicted, but it seems like you have already made a good start.

Welcome aboard.
                            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Thank you Cellar Rat

Yes, well spotted: I quickly became an addict. If it all turns to vinegar, I'll soon be cured
                              "How demeaning! To be set upon by Tibley Bobley!" - Professor Moriarty

Comment

• Originally posted by Tibley Bobley View Post
                                Thank you Cellar Rat

Yes, well spotted: I quickly became an addict. If it all turns to vinegar, I'll soon be cured
                                !
                                "Pickled" surely - sorry couldn't help myself!
                                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
                                X