Thread for questions and discussion on new winemaker series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Calf rearer View Post
    I have already got 2 one gallons of wine number 1 bubbling merrily away, just about to start another 2 when I noticed that the juice I had chosen, Apple and elderflower has got Sodium Benzonate as a preservative, is this going to be a problem and should I use something else without any preservative in, did read the ingredients for the first batch, but missed this one
    Known as E211, yes it will be a problem, but most preservatives can be removed by bringing the juice to a rolling boil for about 10 mins, this should drive of the preservatives and make your juice OK to use.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Thank you will try that

Comment

• Quick Question re Cleaning/Sanitising

In the tutorial 'getting it all clean', Bob talks about making a sulphite solution using sodium met or potassium met. Am i correct in thinking that Camden Tabs are one of the above? If so, how many Camden Tabs would i need to crush to enable me to make the sanitising solution Bob mentions? Reason for this - need to sanitise ready for racking, and cant get to the local HBS easily due to work commitments!

'HAAAALLP' (in a 'Penelope Pitstop' styleee)

DaveH
        "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

• Campden tablets are indeed Potassium metabisulphite, and there is 0.44 gram in each tablet from my recollection.

CJJ berry's first steps has the formula in it for making up sanitising solution from campden tablets, but I'm at work and don't have it to hand.

regards
          Bob
          Last edited by lockwood1956; 01-02-2008, 05:20 PM.
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Here we go from C J J Berry, Make up a steralising solutionby dissolving 6 campden tablets and two teaspoons of citric acid in 1 pint of water, on page 18 if you have the book.
            National Wine Judge
            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
              Here we go from C J J Berry, Make up a steralising solutionby dissolving 6 campden tablets and two teaspoons of citric acid in 1 pint of water, on page 18 if you have the book.
              Ta very much!
              "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

• Covered yeast starter?

Hi all,

It's been a while since I was asking questions because my second batch of equipment has only just arrived (AVOID easy-brew.co.uk ... but you all probably knew that already!).

Nevertheless, now that it's here I'm attempting my semi-juice, semi-fruit version of wine, so we'll see how that goes. I might just post a thread documenting it (I've been taking photos) if it doesn't turn out too embarrassingly!

Yesterday at 6pm I put crushed campden tablets into the must+straining bag of fruit, and also set up a yeast starter in a sterilised plastic jar. I did all my sterilising with VWP (since I bought it before I had been converted to the wonders of potassium metabisulphite), and rinsed...a lot.

It's been 18 hrs now and the starter has changed colour a bit and also developed a modest head of foam. I wasn't sure if it should be covered completely (i.e. with a lid) so that the oxygen ran out or not, so opted for the hedged-bets choice of loosely laying a lid on the top, but not screwing it closed. I have just added a little more sugar and also moved the starter to a warmer location (it was down at 16 degrees and is now at 20.5) and the heat seems to be helping it to bubble more enthusiastically. Should I screw the lid down? Take it off entirely? I _believe_ the yeast needs oxygen at this stage... I'm using 'Connoisseur's Choice Red Wine Yeast, R2101', in case that helps.

Since I sulphited the must at 6pm yest, I'm not going to pitch the yeast until 6 hrs from now (i.e. 24 hours after sulphiting). Should I top up my starter with a little more spare room-temp grape juice just to keep it going till then? I used the 100ml grape, 100ml water, 1/2tsp sugar instructions originally, and have since added a small tsp of organic castor sugar.

Incidentally - does it make a diff which sugar is used for any sugaring of starter/must?

Thanks,

Jek

P.S. To what degree is swirling/shaking/stirring the starter a good or bad idea?
                Last edited by Jekteir; 02-02-2008, 01:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jekteir View Post
                  Hi all,

It's been a while since I was asking questions because my second batch of equipment has only just arrived (AVOID easy-brew.co.uk ... but you all probably knew that already!).

Nevertheless, now that it's here I'm attempting my semi-juice, semi-fruit version of wine, so we'll see how that goes. I might just post a thread documenting it (I've been taking photos) if it doesn't turn out too embarrassingly!

Yesterday at 6pm I put crushed campden tablets into the must+straining bag of fruit, and also set up a yeast starter in a sterilised plastic jar. I did all my sterilising with VWP (since I bought it before I had been converted to the wonders of potassium metabisulphite), and rinsed...a lot.

It's been 18 hrs now and the starter has changed colour a bit and also developed a modest head of foam. I wasn't sure if it should be covered completely (i.e. with a lid) so that the oxygen ran out or not, so opted for the hedged-bets choice of loosely laying a lid on the top, but not screwing it closed. I have just added a little more sugar and also moved the starter to a warmer location (it was down at 16 degrees and is now at 20.5) and the heat seems to be helping it to bubble more enthusiastically. Should I screw the lid down? Take it off entirely? I _believe_ the yeast needs oxygen at this stage... I'm using 'Connoisseur's Choice Red Wine Yeast, R2101', in case that helps.

Since I sulphited the must at 6pm yest, I'm not going to pitch the yeast until 6 hrs from now (i.e. 24 hours after sulphiting). Should I top up my starter with a little more spare room-temp grape juice just to keep it going till then? I used the 100ml grape, 100ml water, 1/2tsp sugar instructions originally, and have since added a small tsp of organic castor sugar.

Incidentally - does it make a diff which sugar is used for any sugaring of starter/must?

Thanks,

Jek

P.S. To what degree is swirling/shaking/stirring the starter a good or bad idea?
                  A loose lid is fine, it needs oxigen and the lid will just keep anything from getting in.

If you think the yeast will run out of fermentables before you pitch it then yes add a little grape juice or sugar to keep it going.

The type of sugar should idealy be the same that your going to have in your must, so it can come acustomed to the conditions.

No need to stir or shake the starter until your ready to pitch it, then a quick shake will be ok to get settled deposits aroused.
                  National Wine Judge
                  N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Take the lid off, but cover with a tea-towel or something to keep any flies etc out.

As for sugar, if you use brown or demerrara you will get a difference in taste and colour. (I used brown sugar in a recipe that called for it and it was horrible! ) Don't use icing sugar, ordinary sugar is best IMO

By the way, could you please add your location into your profile. That way we will be able to give advice more easily, especially if measurements are involved.

Thanks
                    Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
                      By the way, could you please add your location into your profile. That way we will be able to give advice more easily, especially if measurements are involved.

Thanks

I did. sorry, I was still on earth, but forgot to change it.
                      Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
                      Twitter: VirtualWineO
                      Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

• Thanks for the advice -- I will try a tea towel. Just added a bit more grape juice to the starter, 3hrs before main pitching. I'm just a little worried because the fermentation is far from violent (very small bubbles, quite low froth) -- but at least it is fermenting, and I will double-check the SG of the main must before I pitch so that I can keep track of where I'm at in future.

Location added!

Jek

Comment

Just added a bit more grape juice to the starter, 3hrs before main pitching. I'm just a little worried because the fermentation is far from violent (very small bubbles, quite low froth) --

what yeast is it you are using?

some yeasts are low foamers

good job on profile update
                          Last edited by lockwood1956; 02-02-2008, 04:15 PM.
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Yeah -thanks Jek
                            Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

I'm using 'Connoisseur's Choice Red Wine Yeast, R2101', in case that helps.
                              Sorry i should have read properly...

this is a low foaming yeast, so worry not

hope this helps
                              regards
                              Bob
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Thankyou, that's very reassuring

Jek

Comment

Working...
                                X