No announcement yet.

Thread for questions and discussion on new winemaker series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know if the yeast nutrient (as asked for in the basic white recipe) is the same thing as Brupaks yeast vit (A carefully formulated blend of soluble inorganic salts, vitamins, amino acids and trace elements designed to ensure correction of nutrient deficiencies in wort. It is pitched into well-aerated wort along with the yeast.) or should I buy some wine specific nutrient?

Cheers

Comment

I'm presuming this is for beermaking, I'm not 100% sure between the nutrient levals between beer and wine, my hunch feeling would be to purchase wine nutrient, it's not expensive and at least your sure of a healthy ferment.
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by kerosine View Post
        As I mentioned earlier in the thread I tinkered around with wine number 1 and this is the result, a nice rose.

[ATTACH]947[/ATTACH][ATTACH]948[/ATTACH]

and a nice tipple it is too!
        Outstanding! Smart as a guards van

Where'd you find the bottles and screw cap/seal "thingies" (local HBS only seems to have "cork type" bottles/seals/shrinks) ?

regards

JtFB
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigEasy View Post
          Does anyone know if the yeast nutrient (as asked for in the basic white recipe) is the same thing as Brupaks yeast vit (A carefully formulated blend of soluble inorganic salts, vitamins, amino acids and trace elements designed to ensure correction of nutrient deficiencies in wort. It is pitched into well-aerated wort along with the yeast.) or should I buy some wine specific nutrient?

Cheers
          I would buy a yeast nutrient suitable for wine, the thing you are looking for mainly is vitamin B1 and diammonium Phosphate, also need trace minerals and vitamins, but any decent (wine) nutrient should do the trick.
          I like Tronozymol or gervin minavit, but you have to be careful not to add too much, I think it is worth the extra money for a decent nutrient (and yeast)

regards
          Bob
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

John

they were just recycled Gallo bottles - I saved them for the easy table wines as there's very little cahnce of me aging them given that I am such a gannet

Comment

Originally posted by kerosine View Post
              I saved them for the easy table wines as there's very little cahnce of me aging them given that I am such a gannet

Well I did notice that there were only 4 bottles left to take pics of but didn't mention it at the time, but seeing as you have confessed....
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

what can I say I'm an incorrigible lush

Comment

too funny
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

And another batch makes it into bottles

DSC01261.JPG

Comment

• whoo hoo!
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Last night I made the basic white as per the instructions. The only difference being I used a Gervin yeast (No. 5 White Label).

Wow what a quick start.
                        I had slight foam within the hour and a good head within two hours (Nothing like good head )
                        This morning the airlock is going once a second.
                        It is ten years since I last made wine but I cannot ever remember such a quick start to the fermentation as this.
                        I know the instructions mention a healthy ferment in 24-48 hours but is this quick normal?

Jon L.

Comment

• Yep, perfectly fine, it just means the yeast is happy in its environment ie correct nutrients, temp etc.
                          Discount Home Brew Supplies
                          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                          National Wine Judge
                          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBigEasy View Post
                            cannot ever remember such a quick start to the fermentation as this.
                            I know the instructions mention a healthy ferment in 24-48 hours but is this quick normal?

Jon L.

aren't yeast starters great?
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• I guess that is the main difference. Years ago I just dumped the dry yeast into the demjohn, it then had to come to temperature and get itself happy in it's new sugary environment.
                              Now, with re-hydrating the yeast, it is already two thirds the way there.

Jon L.

Comment

• I have already got 2 one gallons of wine number 1 bubbling merrily away, just about to start another 2 when I noticed that the juice I had chosen, Apple and elderflower has got Sodium Benzonate as a preservative, is this going to be a problem and should I use something else without any preservative in, did read the ingredients for the first batch, but missed this one

Comment

Working...
                                X