No announcement yet.

Thread for questions and discussion on new winemaker series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I enjoyed your tutorial 3 very much. I had a thought about 'stopped ferments' -- I saw yours stopped at 0.996 or something, and you were hoping for 0.990. Would it be a worthwhile idea to try running another yeast starter 24 hours before racking from primary to secondary (i.e. hold some yeast in reserve in the sachet, then do this second starter just before SG is 1.020), and add that starter to the secondary right after you rack the must? I figured, if you add some fizzing yeast after the move, that might help the culture that has been strained/racked etc. recover?

Jek

Comment

It wouldn't work, the alcohol level would be too high for a new yeast to survive, they have to become accustomed to the alcohol produced over the fermentation process, a finishing gravity of .996 is quite acceptable as finished and dry wine. It is not likely in this case that the yeast has expired, it has just run out of fermentable sugars.
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

What Karl said

below 1.000 is finished, not worth trying to get anything going after that....
        Last edited by lockwood1956; 16-01-2008, 01:59 AM.
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I cannot seem to find an answer to my problem.
          I racked a 5 gallon California Conniseur Zinfandel kit last night that has been bubbling away merrily as per the instructions to rack at 1.010.Since then it has been sat sulking with no bubbles coming thro the airlock, I realise that I have lost a great deal of the yeast thro racking off the lees but is this normal ? My other question arises after trying to find an answer to the first, the wine is now back in the large bucket with a considerable airgap above it, albeit it with an airlock fitted, would it be better to transfer the wine into 5 one gallon demijohns so there is less airspace above the wine, my instuctions do state not to top up the wine with water at this stage.
          Thank for bearing with me

Comment

I've found the yeasties usually do take a rest for a day or two after racking. Wait for a while to see what happens.
            As for your second question, if you have the DJs I'd be inclined to transfer it.
            Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

I think having it under airlock is good...and your instructions likely say to top up after degassing and stabilising......

do you have a 5 gallon DJ? that would be best, if not, I would transfer to 1 gal DJ's after stabilising and degassing, makes it easier to stabilise and degass in the one container

for now it is protected by the CO2 it is still producing.

And i concur with mamgi that they normally slow at this point
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Thank you for your prompt reply, will transfer to 5 jars tonight as they are the biggest I have. Another 7 individual gallons on the go at the moment, so am sure I will be plaguing you about those in due course

Comment

We look forward to your questions
                  Last edited by lockwood1956; 17-01-2008, 03:52 PM.
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Hope you will not live to regret those words lol
                    A quick one whilst I think about it, I have read that grape juice is a good sweetner for sweetening finnished wine...... Is this grape juice as you buy at the supermarket in tetrapack or something that only wine shops sell, and do you agree this is a good sweetner or would you recommend something else and why.
                    Last edited by Calf rearer; 17-01-2008, 04:17 PM. Reason: Cannot spell!

Comment

Originally posted by Calf rearer View Post
                      Hope you will not life to regret those words lol
                      A quick one whilst I think about it, I have read that grape juice is a good sweetner for sweetening finnished wine...... Is this grape juice as you buy at the supermarket in tetrapax or something that only wine shops sell, and do you agree this is a good sweetner or would you recommend something else and why.
                      Actually, the answer to your questions are; yes, yes, yes and yes, in that order...frozen juice from the market is fine, one suggestions here is buy a neutral flavor so as not to mask the original flavor; or save back some of the original kit juice, say a pint or quart; or buy some of the same in concentate from your brew supply store; and a personal note here is to order smaller quantities of any variety from California Sun Concentrate (same or neutral). Or have your supply shop order from them or a variety of other sources.

I made the '05 R.J. Spagnols Grand Cru Zinfandel, saved back some original kit juice and sweetened to 1.03. It has won me several Gold and one Silver, it is a good kit all around, as it blended well with Blueberry, Blackberry, Cherry, Rouge for a Cabernet flavor. Love that one!
                      Last edited by Guest; 20-01-2008, 03:09 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

When you're doing a fruit-based ferment, how should the straining bag be sanitised? Is it enough just to have it in the must when the first sulphite solution is added, or should you run it through a washer + hot dryer immediately before use, or something else?

Also, what is the difference between a large/small and coarse/fine bag? Which should be used when?

Thanks,

Jek

Comment

If it's reasonably clean then the first sulphiting should be fine, if in doubt boil it in water for 10 mins before use, A large / small will depend on the amount of fruit you have ie 3lb or 12lb etc, the coursness dependson the fruit your fermenting ie mushy pears = fine or backberries = course, just a general guide.
                          Discount Home Brew Supplies
                          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                          National Wine Judge
                          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

As I mentioned earlier in the thread I tinkered around with wine number 1 and this is the result, a nice rose.

DSC01249.JPGrose.jpg

and a nice tipple it is too!

Comment

Pour one of those beauties for me Kerosine...

Comment

Have started a no 1 and a no 1 x 2 (2x each carton with bit less sugar).. it hard not to experiment!!.. they are both bubbling away like mad and hope they taste as gud as you say as they so easy to make used lemon juice instead of citric acid as it it not really a noob ingredient..
                                To err is human.. to drink divine...

Comment

Working...
                                X