Beaverdale Rojo Tinto - 1st Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ToulouseLePlot View Post
    Can you tell me what your Original Gravity was (if you took it)?

I made my first Beaverdale yesterday (Cab Sauv) and after stirring for a long time to ensure proper dispersal - I got 1.070 ... so I stirred some more, left it half an hour and got 1.070. Now the deal I have with wine involves a tad more alcohol, so I added 750g sugar to creep over 1.080. I just wondered if Beaverdal kits were a bit lighter than those I am used to.

Also swapped yeast for Harvest R56 and added 10g bentonite as there was none in the kit and i had some knocking around.
    My SG was 1.080 but I think after adjusting for the temperature it will be 1.081 - However I didn't calibrate my hydrometer, so I'm not 100%

I thought bentonite was mainly used for clearing white wines? I didn't get any in my kit either..

Comment

Quick update - it's been approx 51 hours since I set this off and still no signs of bubbling.. The temp has risen to about 22C which is about 2 degrees above room temp, there is also signs of foaming so I assume something is happening

It's still early days yet, I'm probably too eager with this being my first batch! (Been checking in on it 2-3 times a day)

Comment

you haven't got bubbling because you've got an air leak. Happens to me because my gromets are a bit tired (and the rubber round the airlock isn't much good either). Run your hands around the lid pressing down to make sure the edges are all secure, then fiddle with the airlock in the gromet to figure if that's a bit loose.

After 3 days you should smell some fermentation going on too - but if you aren't used to it maybe you don't recognise it.

It is handy to know the speed of fermentation (so handy to see bubbling) because ideally you want to catch it right to rack to the next FV, which is about 2 days before it stops (under 1.1) - you notice the speed of fermentation beginning to fall away and that's when I check the SG (it's usually 1.2 which means 1 more day before racking)
        Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
        Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

That wouldn't surprise me, and was something I was considering..

The fermenter comes with a big rubber gasket, and tried for about 30-40 mins to get it to fit into the groove in the screw top lid without success!

I eventually gave up as I know it doesn't matter too much at this stage about being air tight due to the CO2 being produced, and just screwed it down tight. Maybe I will have another go at putting the rubber gasket on, I would just feel better if it was bubbling

Thanks very helpful

Comment

Well you were right ToulouseLePlot, there was clearly air escaping from the fermenter! I gave the big rubber band a big stretch and managed to get it to fit into the screw top, it's now bubbling away nicely!

The temperature has increased and is now at 24C which is about 6 degrees above room temperature..

Need to get a turkey baster or something so that I can take a sample in a couple of days and test the SG again - unless anyone can think of another way to get a sample?

Cheers

Comment

Chuck the hydrometer in the fermenter its easier.
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Not a bad idea, but it's not transparent and I wouldn't be able to read it.. The sides of the fermenter at translucent and it's quite deep.

I used the siphon tube to get some last time, which is ok if I'm quick - but I managed to get it all over after sucking on the tube!

Lol

Comment

A tip for your eddification re syphoning.

Don't try to suck the liqid through with the end of the tube below the liquid level in the fermentation vessel, or it will automatically start to flow out as soon as gravity is on its side. You are in perfect control as long as the pipe is full and the outlet is just above the main bulk and there is a sag in the syphon line below the main bulk level.

Lowering the end of the pipe below the main bulk will initiate flow and the rate of flow will be a function of difference in levels of main bulk and the outlet, provided the pipe remains full of liquid.

Simple physics in action - liquids will always find their own level (liquid helium excluded here!).

RAB

Comment

Cheers RAB, makes sense.. I'm sure I will get it right with practise

Comment

Help!

I measured the SG today at 1.010 so racked into the better bottle, just fit with about an inch at the top, perfect..

Popped the air lock on which started bubbling.. Came back 30 mins later and it had foamed up thorough the air lock and all over the floor!

Now there's much more room in the better bottle than I had hoped, what's best for me to do? If I put the airlock back on it keeps happening..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370098776.861395.jpg

Cheers

Comment

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370098935.673108.jpg

Arrggh.. Lol

Comment

Cover it with something else - don't want fruit flies getting access. So clearly not yet finished? Patience is the name of the game!

Comment

The instructions said to rack at 1.010 which is exactly what I did..

Comment

Well currently got it covered with a towel.. May need to watch for this next time as I lost quite a bit of wine over the floor

It was only bubbling slightly when I left it, and certainly didn't look as though it was going to overflow like it did

Day 6

Racked into better bottle, smell wasn't too nice smelt like wine vomit (asthough I had drunk too much wine, and been ill) - which is slightly worrying.. Is that a normal smell?

Tastes ok, could taste a yeasty back flavour and a carbonated taste like it was full of CO2 (which of course it is at the moment)

Temp at the moment: 22C
                              SG 1.010

Will check back in a while to see if its stopped overflowing enough to put the airlock back on

Comment

Well I tried to put the airlock back on and it has happened again, not quite as much this time, but its splattered all over the nice white walls.. The Mrs not very happy lol

I've taken it back off and will leave the towel over for now.. Next time I think I'll leave it in the big fermenter until its down to 990 or so..

Comment

Working...
                                X