Beaverdale Rojo Tinto - 1st Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharpy,

You will have to get used to their instructions. They are very specific and rather brief but perfectly adequate.

And also take note of all the tips on the forum from the experienced (perhaps less so for others). I am included in the 'others' group, but as science-based all my life, I am fairly confident with all except the finer details of achieving the finest wine possible). Still, learning a lot from this forum.

Remember following instructions 100% (then changing the yeast - maybe not a bad thing, but it does negate the former 100% as yeasts do behave differently).

I am wondering what fermenting temperature was recommended for the replacement yeast ... Internet revals it is good down to 15 degrees so twenty two may be a bit too high for it? I'm not sure on that but maybe others might comment.

I recall saying I only top up after the initial fermentation has subsided a bit. Filling to within a couple centimetres or so while still fermenting (and being stirred up) was your downfall. There is nothing to stop you filling that last half litre into a sanitised bottle and recombining later (for your future kits - too late this time). I always have a 'hemi-demi' and a bottle ready sanitised for just that purpose.

My wine store (an old 13 cubic foot chest freezer) will store 28 D/Js in two layers, plus the odd 'hemi demi', so not so much bigger than seven carboys - and it has the possible benefit of being temperature controlled later in the summer. Not very big in serious wine-making terms, mind!

You had better now get this one right! Placate your wife with the super cheap and better than supermarket wine!

Possibly a week or maybe two (or even longer) before fermentation is complete, but sooner than that if it keeps going vigorously.

My biggest problem is my wife - she starts to object when there are two vessels cramping kitchen space (plus the associated cartons, bottles, demis and large 'really useful' box of bits and pieces. Conversely, of course, I am her biggest problem when I do that! We just agree to disagree and she likes the wine and cider so the wine kit is usually tolerated ...

Regards, RAB

Comment

Originally posted by Sharpyuk View Post
      Well I tried to put the airlock back on and it has happened again, not quite as much this time, but its splattered all over the nice white walls.. The Mrs not very happy lol

I've taken it back off and will leave the towel over for now.. Next time I think I'll leave it in the big fermenter until its down to 990 or so..
      Ah the trials and tribulations of the newer winemaker.......... a kiddies balloon that's been rinsed in sulphite and had a couple of pin holes in it can work, as can a "blow off tube" that sits in water. These have been suggested in many places for brews with high(er) levels of CO2 production.

Dunno why this kit might be like that though......
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated! I am glad I started with a cheaper kit now..

I've learnt a lot from this so far, and loving it already!

The Mrs is happy now, wouldn't mind but she hates wine.. She doesn't even like the smell of it!

I think I may have to move it to the shed so it doesn't stick the out..

Comment

It's appears to have really calmed down now.. I checked SG and its 1.002

I've popped the airlock back on now and it's ok so far, fingers crossed!

Thanks again for everyone's comments.. I'll probably check it again in about a week see how it's going

Comment

Update Day 10

Checked SG again as the bubbling has slowed right down to about 1 bubble per minute. SG is approx 994 which seems good

I will check again on Saturday, if the SG is still at 994 then according to instructions I need to add stabiliser and start degassing process. If SG has dropped then I think I will have torecheck

Comment

2nd June:I'll probably check it again in about a week see how it's going

Less than half a week later:Checked SG again

Patience! It won't go bad in a few days unless you infect it!

RAB

Comment

Lol, I know I'm way too eager with this being my first one..

I just want to get it right, and get it topped up so I'm not paranoid about the excess headroom, don't want any oxygen to get in..

I suspect once its stabilised, degassed and cleared then I will be able to top up and leave it for a while (few months maybe) before bottling.. maybe get another one going whilst I wait..

Really appreciate your comments though RAB!

Comment

Patience is something new winemakers seldom have (I certainly didn't)

I was messing with batches every 23 minutes, it is all part of the natural enthusiasm of a new hobby

Difficult sometimes to not be the hydrometer police eh?

Rab is indeed correct though, patience young Jedi!

regards
                  Bob
                  Last edited by lockwood1956; 06-06-2013, 05:32 PM.
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Update day 15

OK so my patience ran low again! I've checked again today and the SG is 994.

As per instructions I have now added the stabiliser (prepackaged sodium metabisulphate and potassium sorbate in a little sachet) and started degassing..

First attempt at degassing had zero success, used a drill and stainless steel wine whip, did nothing at all, even on top speed!

2nd attempt also failed, tried using a vacuum bottle sealer thingy, popped the rubber end in the airlock (as seen on you tube) and pumped just like I would when removing air from any opened wine bottles. Sucked all the air out and the sides started popping in on the better bottle.. Abandoned at that stage as it clearly was never going to work

3rd attempt - success!! This time I used the old tennis ball trick, popped it under the better bottle and rocked vigorously - worked a treat! Sometimes the cheaper options are the best..

Will continue to degassing for the next couple of days before adding the first part of the finings (Kieselsol)

Had a taste of the wine after testing the SG, it seems ok, not fantastic.. Seemed slightly acidic maybe and a bit of a strange aftertaste.. cant quite put my finger on it. I'm sure it will come good with age..

So now to work out how to calculate the alcohol content.. SG was 1.080 when I started and now .994

:-)

Comment

So now to work out how to calculate the alcohol content (my underlining)

No need. Just look on page 82 of CJJ Berry. Close enough.

RAB

Comment

I use a simple calculation to work out the alcohol content.

Subtract the Final SG from the Starting SG then divide by 7.55

1.080 minus .994 divided by 7.55 = 11.39 % ABV.

Gary

Comment

Cheers Gaztops that's the formula I was looking for..

Perfect, so not too bad then.. Is that about what I should expect them these kits?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharpyuk View Post
                            Is that about what I should expect them these kits?

To be honest I've never made wine or beer before, it's a calculation i picked up for a different kind of fermented liquid

Comment

1.080 minus .994 divided by 7.55 = 11.39 % ABV.

Yes, but! Don't get hung up on the first number after the decimal point, let alone the second decimal fraction.

The actual chance of it actually being the figure quoted is remote. It will be 'around' that value if fermented under ideal conditions to completeness, but almost certainly not that exact figure.

Just consider the accuracy/precision of the measurements for a start. The drop could be 84 points or 88 points, quite easily, just from the observed readings without any other error bars taken into account, like reading the temperature imprecisely, the quality of the hydrometer and the actual fermenting conditions (procucing the wrong 'alcohols', esters and a load of other compounds in small quantities).

Berry, quoting to only three significant figures was only a good estimate. He knew that 50 years ago.

RAB
                              Last edited by oliver90owner; 11-06-2013, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Cheers RAB, so assume its approx. 11%

It's certainly not likely to be more than 11% I guess (assuming my hydrometer is reasonably accurate), but it could be less potentially

So bearing that in mind, will that affect long term storage? I know people who intend to age for extended periods try to get a higher alcohol levels

Personally, it's unlikely to be aged for more than a year (I will keep a couple of bottles a year) more likely to be gone soon after 6mnth I guess..

See how it goes, my plan for this one was to bulk age until October then bottle to give a couple of months in bottle and then ready for Christmas.

Comment

Working...
                                X