No announcement yet.

Beaverdale Rojo Tinto - 1st Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see Bob uses the same method as I, but divides by 7.36.

Are we both wayout.

Comment

No Gary

Rab is right that there are a lot of variables, but we are only looking at a close measurement, not precise figures, but to the nearest 0.5% of alcohol is fine for amateur winemakers

We are close enough as makes little or no diifference

regards
      bob
      Last edited by lockwood1956; 11-06-2013, 07:18 PM. Reason: typos
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

So using the new formula it could be as high as 11.68% maybe.. I suppose it doesn't matter but it would be nice to be as accurate as possible

I will say 11%

:-)

Comment

The way I interpreted Rab's post I just assumed that my formula wasn't even close to being a decent estimate of % ABV, and when I came across Bob's formula which is very similar to mine, I was confused and curious to know why.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharpyuk View Post
            I will say 11%
            I'll drink to that
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Gaztops, you need to read my posts more carefully. I did not say you were way out at all.

I am very careful with my wordology and (generally) I mean exactly what I write.

I worked in science and simply quoting untrue figures is as bad as it can get. Like: what is the average of 1 and 2?

If you say 1.5, you are wrong, as the anwer is 2. Think carefully and you may understand that the average of 1.0 and 2.0 is 1.5 (a subtle difference in precision). In other words the result must be meaningful. The figure of '1' could be any value between 0.5 and 1.4 and the figure of '2' could be anything from 1.5 to 2.4 and we have no means of knowing. One should never quote a result to more significant figures than the least precise measurement, although it is often done (it tries to impart a sense of superiority on the part of the reporter, but really shows they do not really understand the real truth of the matter). To be very pedantic the answer to my question should perhaps be 2 plus or minus 1! Complicated innit?

RAB

Comment

RAB the tone of your reply is coming across as somewhat argumentative (im sure you didnt mean it that way, but thats how it reads to me)

he asked if he was way out...he didn't say thats what YOU said

please be careful here that we don't allow the written (misinterpreted) word develop into something it isnt....we all know what we meant when we typed it, but because there is no inflection in the voice or non verbal communication at play things are very easily misread

I have seen it (and been a victim of it) on other forums.

winesathome's mission statement is "to help new winemakers"

I wish this to be a user friendly place, particularly for newbies.

regards
                bob
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

On a slightly different note, does even the 'near enough' % alcohol matter. If it tastes good, drink it. If it might taste good later, age it! If it smells like drain cleaner, re read your notes and try to work out what you did wrong.

Comment

Beaverdale kits usually have 11% - 12% abv when made as per the instructions, this is fine as the wine is medium bodied and balance is more important.

My advice when making any kit for the first time is to follow the instructions to the letter, the manufacturers know a thing or two and their instructions are pretty much spot on. Having said that, you may decide that the finished product lacks body, alc, flavour etc and the next time you make the kit, you could consider "tweaking" the kit.

Several tweaks have been mentioned already on this thread, my favorite kit for tweaking is the Beaverdale Rioja (sound familiar?). In standard form the wine is medium bodied, very fruity and ready to drink almost straight away. In a thread elsewhere on this forum, I explained how I improved this kit by adding raisins, tannin and more oak. The tweaks you use are dependant on your taste and what you want as an end product.

I have tweaked loads of different wine kits (and a few beer kits) but one thing to remember is, the moment you change anything, your manufacturers warranty is invallied!

Happy tweaking ;
                    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Yes I was planning to try this tweak after I've done the kit once by the instructions.. I will see how it turns out first

I assume by adding the raisins it will increase sugar and therefore the end result will be have a higher alcohol level (as well as more body)

Cheers

Comment

Well I've been degassing for the last 3 days 2-3 times per day for a few minutes at a time, using the tennis ball under my better bottle.. Unfortunately it's still showing signs of CO2 - there are still lots of small bubbles when shaken vigorously..

I'm not sure if I should continue to do this for a few more days or follow the instructions and add the finings?

My main concern is the extended period of time where air is being exposed to the wine due to the excess headroom in the better bottle, I would like to get the finings in so I can top up..

Comment

RAB the tone of your reply is coming across as somewhat argumentative

Sorry, boss, if that was the case. I will try to dilute my defense, but it was in response to posts #46 and #49 where clearly what I wrote and what was inferred was way off beam. At no time did I suggest that the figure quoted was 'way out'. I am quite sure Gaztops will be used to far more robust replies on the distilling forum.

Sharpy,

Think of it like this; the more CO2 that comes out of solution the more it will be displacing air in that headspace. Probably not ideal if you have a large headspace, though. But it has been sulphited, so that should also help too.

I would warm it to, say, 24C and then degas, as CO2 is less soluble as the temp goes up, so it's more easily removed. However you will get bubbles forever with an aggressive shake/stir. The bench mark is whether there is any pressure being produced - not much in your case but more obvious with a small headspace. I do mine by warming then stirring aggressively after splitting it into two buckets for ease of stirring. For my glass demijohns I fit a safety stopper and shake periodically until virtually nothing gasses off when I flip open the safety valve.

You are doing fine, stop worrying.

RAB

Comment

Absolutely no need to say sorry RAB

just flagged it up, as I have found that if theese things are left alone "sometimes" they get a bit wayward

Alls good
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

No worries RAB, I'm not easily offended but very easily lost to science.

Comment

Re the degassing.

One thing to remember is that the wine is not just water, there is other things in there and these can create bubbles when you shake (think of washing up liquid).

If you can, fit an air lock and shake - if the air lock bubbles like mad then CO2 coming out, if it's just sloshing then all the CO2 has gone. This is what I do basically do.

Mark..............

Comment

Working...
                                X