No announcement yet.

Beaverdale Rojo Tinto - 1st Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAB I will rack the Rioja into another 23l better bottle type fermenter, and topup with a store bought Rioja. Seems simplest option.. I could rack into 5x 1 gallon demijohns but seems messy

The No1, 2, 3 wines will be racked into 1 gallon demijohns as I've got quite a few now..

Anyone got any empty wine bottles, I'm going to need a few by the time I've done all these!!

Happy days!

Comment

Get a bottle bank grabber
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Lol, I thought about that.. But I couldn't bring myself to do it - suspect I'll just have to buy 100 empty bottles from somewhere that does them in bulk, not sure if you know anywhere?

Comment

A homebrew store in Darlington called The Hop and Grape sell wine bottles both clear and green for 65p each, maybe they could do a deal with bulk buying.

Comment

Yeah I worked out 66p per bottle from local home brew shop

Comment

buy 100 empty bottles from somewhere that does them in bulk,

C_R would likely be a prime candidate?

At 66p a bottle, to better on price, I would, too! Probably could throw in some second hand corks at that price too

RAB

Comment

Second hand corks lol I like that one.. I will be using new corks, in fact I've already got 130 corks ready for bottles..

I've managed to save 30 bottles so far, and the Mrs is on strict instructions to only buy wine with cork tops and no screw tops lol

I've also asked friends and family to save me their bottles, but they all use screw tops! Is it me or are most wines screw tops these days?? I'd say 90% of wines in the supermarkets are screw top bottles..

Comment

If you have a bottle bank near you, let's not forget banks are for withdrawals and deposits

This handy tool makes it so much easier to liberate bottles

Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Sharpyuk View Post
                    Second hand corks lol I like that one.. I will be using new corks, in fact I've already got 130 corks ready for bottles..

I've managed to save 30 bottles so far, and the Mrs is on strict instructions to only buy wine with cork tops and no screw tops lol

I've also asked friends and family to save me their bottles, but they all use screw tops! Is it me or are most wines screw tops these days?? I'd say 90% of wines in the supermarkets are screw top bottles..
                    I feel we are stepping ever closer to the subject of bottle washing.
                    IMO the best way, by far is a cold soak, followed by a jet blaster Jet blaster and then finally truck wash.

If it survives that, and some do - throw it away it is not worth the trouble.

Comment

Second hand corks lol I like that one..

Didn't want to cut the profit margin too much!

Your local wine bar would likely do you a job lot just to get rid of them.

By the way, did you want your bottles sent in a box on a pallet or posted singly?

My Boss is on strict instructions not to buy any wine!!

Nowt wrong with screw tops for short term storage. Just allow the reds to breathe for a few days instead of a couple hours!

RAB

Comment

Love the change of subject there

Not sure what truck wash is.. All my bottle have been rinsed already so hardest part will be removing the labels..

I was going to get one of those jet blasters and use some strong sulphite solution, let them drip dry..

Not sure they will need a soak, although I would do this if the bottles are removed from a bottle bank or given from someone else

Comment

Originally posted by oliver90owner View Post
                          Second hand corks
                          This might be something to do with the fact I reuse crown caps.

I think it leaves some Yorkshireman standing in complete awe & wonder !!

Comment

Crown caps? Never heard if them.. Lol

Comment

Week I've now racked and topped up my beaverdale Rioja.. It took just over 1 bottle of store bought wine to fill it, which isn't too bad.

Next time I won't make the same mistake..

So now to bulk age for as long as I can before bottling. Hopefully bottle in October so that it has 2months in the bottle before Christmas - watch this space!

Thanks to everyone for their assistance with this, really appreciate all your help

.. Now to get another better bottle carboy so I can start my Kenridge Showcase Cab Sav!

Comment

Don't be too quick to dismiss screw tops. The majority will take a cork perfectly well.

http://markblades.com
                                Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
                                These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Working...
                                X